Is My Complex Integral Calculation Correct?

Good job! In summary, the solution is to use the Cauchy integral formula and then substitute in the given values to evaluate the integral, resulting in a final answer of 54πi.
hmmmmm
Is my solution to the following problem correct?

Evaluate $$ \int_\gamma \frac{z^3}{z-3} dz$$ where $\gamma$ is the circle of radius 4 centered at the origin.

Solution

Form the cauchy integral formula we have that:

$$ f(3)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_\gamma \frac{z^3}{z-3}dz$$ and so $$ \int_\gamma \frac{z^3}{z-3} dz=54\pi i $$Thanks very much for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm16 said:

Evaluate $$ \int_\gamma \frac{z^3}{z-3} dz$$ where $\gamma$ is the circle of radius 4 centered at the origin.

Solution

$$ f(3)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_\gamma \frac{z^3}{z-3}dz$$ and so $$ \int_\gamma \frac{z^3}{z-3} dz=54\pi i $$Thanks very much for any help

Looks fine.

hmmm16 said:

Solution

Hi hmmm16,

Your answer is correct.

Related to Is My Complex Integral Calculation Correct?

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but it involves complex numbers and can be used to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you evaluate a complex integral?

To evaluate a complex integral, you can use a variety of methods such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the residue theorem, or contour integration. The method you use will depend on the specific problem and the complexity of the integral.

3. Can a complex integral have multiple solutions?

Yes, a complex integral can have multiple solutions. This is because the complex plane is infinite and there may be multiple paths or contours that can be used to calculate the integral. It is important to carefully consider which path to use in order to get the most accurate solution.

4. What are some common applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in mathematics and various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in solving problems involving electric and magnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. They are also used in calculating probabilities and in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a complex integral?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a complex integral. These include incorrectly choosing the contour or path of integration, forgetting to include all singularities in the calculation, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the properties and theorems related to complex integrals to avoid these mistakes.