Is my Calculus III teacher really prepared for this class?

In summary: I would advise looking for a new teacher.In summary, this new teacher is new to teaching and is likely still learning the ropes. He will most likely quickly be able to know what he intends to prove in front of his students beforehand and have all the details already worked out, so that he does not stumble at the board. However, because he is new, gets flustered and embarrassed when he makes a mistake and is unable to proceed at that point. For people who are new to speaking publicly, one little error could be all it takes to overwhelm them. Regarding the textbook issue, it is on the student to obtain the correct textbook, and perhaps use the other as a supplement.
Petrus
Well My calculus 3 teacher is well known for saying, "I Was not prepeared for this.." Evry single lessons.. When he show some proof he see that he makes misstake and use that as excuse.. And Also sometimes in exemple.. Then he says "You can read this exemple in book.." And I Dont even got same book.. I Dont gain from listens to him I just get more confused and calculus 3 is not easy to learn.. Well I am not alone but I start to think if My school is serious when they choose teacher..:/

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Using expressions like "easy to see" or "it is obvious"

Petrus said:
Well My calculus 3 teacher is well known for saying, "I Was not prepeared for this.." Evry single lessons.. When he show some proof he see that he makes misstake and use that as excuse.. And Also sometimes in exemple.. Then he says "You can read this exemple in book.." And I Dont even got same book.. I Dont gain from listens to him I just get more confused and calculus 3 is not easy to learn.. Well I am not alone but I start to think if My school is serious when they choose teacher..:/

Regards,

While I have never formally taught, I suspect this professor is new to teaching. It sounds like this may even be his first term as a teacher. He will most likely quickly learn to know what he intends to prove in front of his students beforehand and have all the details already worked out, so that he does not stumble at the board. I would venture he is easily capable of these proofs, but because he is new, gets flustered and embarrassed when he makes a mistake and is unable to proceed at that point. For people who are new to speaking publicly, one little error could be all it takes to overwhelm them.

Regarding the textbook issue, I would say it is on you to obtain the correct textbook, and perhaps use the other as a supplement. :D

MarkFL said:
While I have never formally taught, I suspect this professor is new to teaching. It sounds like this may even be his first term as a teacher. He will most likely quickly learn to know what he intends to prove in front of his students beforehand and have all the details already worked out, so that he does not stumble at the board. I would venture he is easily capable of these proofs, but because he is new, gets flustered and embarrassed when he makes a mistake and is unable to proceed at that point. For people who are new to speaking publicly, one little error could be all it takes to overwhelm them.

Regarding the textbook issue, I would say it is on you to obtain the correct textbook, and perhaps use the other as a supplement. :D
Indeed he is NEW and nervous and yes he Will probably get better in time but My class Will still have trouble cause this is a fast calculus 3 which end in 1-1.2month so still we Will have a painfull.. I would be same as him but I would start with smaler, maybe help with homework or something.. My calculus book is not that bad I like it which is Calculus - James Stewart - Google B
Yes it is heavy TO CARRY>.< but still if you plan to show an exemple to student you can't just change your mind.. What ever I should STOP complain and do My best...Regards,

Petrus said:
Indeed he is NEW and nervous and yes he Will probably get better in time but My class Will still have trouble cause this is a fast calculus 3 which end in 1-1.2month so still we Will have a painfull.. I would be same as him but I would start with smaler, maybe help with homework or something.. My calculus book is not that bad I like it which is Calculus - James Stewart - Google B
Yes it is heavy TO CARRY>.< but still if you plan to show an exemple to student you can't just change your mind.. What ever I should STOP complain and do My best...Regards,

Hey Petrus,

I apologize if I came off like I was telling you to just suck it up and not complain and just deal with it. This was not my intention at all. I was really just trying to perhaps see it from the perspective of a new teacher. But, in the end, if you and your classmates really feel that he is an ineffective teacher, then you are well within your rights to address these issues with the administration. If the issues go beyond him occasionally faltering at the board, but indeed really are more an issue of truly bad teaching methods, then you and your classmates would be acting in the interest of the school to (respectfully) point this out to his superiors. I would be sure to have concrete and specific examples to cite in your complaint, and the more who officially agree with the complaints, the less likely it will be taken as a few lazy students complaining about challenging coursework, which I know in your case is not true. :D

I think it would be best if I split this discussion into its own topic so that we do not derail the original discussion. :D

Somehow I posted in the wrong thread. (Doh)

MarkFL said:
Hey Petrus,

I apologize if I came off like I was telling you to just suck it up and not complain and just deal with it. This was not my intention at all. I was really just trying to perhaps see it from the perspective of a new teacher. But, in the end, if you and your classmates really feel that he is an ineffective teacher, then you are well within your rights to address these issues with the administration. If the issues go beyond him occasionally faltering at the board, but indeed really are more an issue of truly bad teaching methods, then you and your classmates would be acting in the interest of the school to (respectfully) point this out to his superiors. I would be sure to have concrete and specific examples to cite in your complaint, and the more who officially agree with the complaints, the less likely it will be taken as a few lazy students complaining about challenging coursework, which I know in your case is not true. :D

I think it would be best if I split this discussion into its own topic so that we do not derail the original discussion. :D
It's ok I can't expect the best I am so nervous how this course Will go and that's it.. I will ofcourse gain a lot of knowledge to try study by Myself and much more.. Nothing can be change to try talk about this, I have to try My best of itRegards,

Random Variable said:
Somehow I posted in the wrong thread. (Doh)

I suspect this was because you were composing your reply as I split the topic. :D

I'm finding Calculus III so much easier than 2.

Related to Is my Calculus III teacher really prepared for this class?

1. Who is your Calculus III professor?

My Calculus III professor is Dr. Smith, a well-respected mathematician and educator who has been teaching at our university for over 10 years.

2. What is the difficulty level of Calculus III with this professor?

Calculus III can be a challenging course for many students, but Dr. Smith is known for his clear explanations and approachable teaching style which makes the material more manageable.

3. How does your Calculus III professor teach the course?

Dr. Smith uses a combination of lectures, problem-solving sessions, and online resources to teach Calculus III. He also encourages active learning and provides plenty of opportunities for students to ask questions and participate in class discussions.

4. Is it necessary to attend every class with this professor?

While attendance is not mandatory, it is highly recommended to attend all of Dr. Smith's classes. He often covers important concepts and examples that may not be found in the textbook or online resources. Plus, attending class can improve your understanding and performance in the course.

5. What advice would you give to students taking Calculus III with this professor?

My advice would be to keep up with the material and practice regularly. Dr. Smith's exams are challenging but fair, so make sure to review class notes, complete assigned homework, and seek help if needed. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions and actively engage in class to get the most out of the course.