Is My Calculation of Molar Concentration Correct?

• Thread starter Raheelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the molar concentration of I- in a reaction mixture. The participants use data from a reaction involving 20 mL of .1 M KI, 0 mL of .1 M KCl, 10 mL of .003 M Thiosulfate, and 20 mL of .10 M Persulfate to calculate the initial concentration of I-. They use the formula .002 mol / .05 L solution (20 mL + 0 mL + 10 mL + 20 mL) = .04 M I- to determine the initial concentration, and discuss the possibility of using stoichiometry to calculate the post-reaction concentration.
Raheelp
The questions asks us to: Determine the molar concentration of I- in a reaction mixture. The reaction was as follows (data):

20 mL of .1 M KI
0 mL of .1 M KCl
10 mL of .003 M Thiosulfate
20 mL of .10 M Persulfate

I did the following:

20 ml I- x (1 L / 1000 mL) = .02 L I-

.02 L I- x (.1 mol / 1 L) = .002 mol I-

.002 mol / .05 L solution (20 mL + 0 mL + 10 mL + 20 mL) = .04 M I-

Little rusty, wanted to make sure I did this right.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question is ambiguous. Does it ask for initial concentration, or for concentration after reaction took place?

Initial looks OK to me.

--

k, going with it heh. I do believe it is initial because we have no post-reaction data.

Well, you may calculate post reaction from stoichiometry.

I have not checked, but could be final concentration of I- is identical to initial.

--

Based on your calculations, it looks like you have correctly determined the molar concentration of I- in the reaction mixture. Your calculations are clear and show the steps you took to arrive at your answer. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units and conversions, which you have done in this case. Great job!

Related to Is My Calculation of Molar Concentration Correct?

1. How do I calculate molarity?

To calculate molarity, divide the moles of solute by the volume of solution in liters. The formula for molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution.

2. What units are used for molarity?

Molarity is typically measured in moles per liter (mol/L) or sometimes in millimoles per liter (mmol/L).

3. Is molarity the same as concentration?

Yes, molarity is a type of concentration that measures the number of moles of solute dissolved in a liter of solution.

4. What if I don't know the volume of my solution?

If you do not know the volume of your solution, you can calculate it by dividing the mass of the solution by its density. Once you have the volume, you can use the molarity formula to determine the concentration.

5. What are some common mistakes when determining molarity?

Some common mistakes when determining molarity include using the wrong units, not converting between units of mass and volume, and not properly accounting for the concentration of the solute in the solution. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent to ensure an accurate molarity measurement.