Is My Calculation of Applied Force in a Pulley System Accurate?

In summary, the conversation involves a practical assignment involving a pulley system with different masses and a string. The person has calculated acceleration and force using a formula, but when graphing the data, it shows a result of 0.18ms-2 at 0N applied. The person is unsure if they have calculated the applied force correctly and asks for clarification on the plotted data. They also mention collecting data from other mass differences and calculating an average acceleration and force.
kieran89
1. Hello. I am doing a practical assignment which involves a pully system with different masses on each side attached to a string. I have figured out acceleration via a = 2x/t^2 and then Force applied by F = (.42-.38)*0.286 which gives me 0.011N. However when I graph the final solution (I have changed the weight difference (.430 and .390) as a Force (yaxis) and Acceleration (xaxis) graph it is basically saying that at 0N applied i am getting 0.18ms-2!.

2. x=1.48m

Am i calculating the applied force correctly?

3. m1 (kg) m2 (kg) t (s) a (m s-2) aaverage (m s-2) Fapp (N)
Trial 1 0.420 0.380 3.21 0.287
Trial 2 0.420 0.380 3.25 0.280
Trial 3 0.420 0.380 3.15 0.298 0.286 0.011
Trial 4 0.420 0.380 3.17 0.295
Trial 5 0.420 0.380 3.22 0.285

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand what you are plotting. You have shown 5 trials and one average value of the acceleration. Then you calculate an average acceleration and from this a "force" as the mass difference times the average acceleration. Did you collect data with other mass differences and put them on the same plot?

Your calculation for the "applied force" seems to be correct. However, you can always multiply the average acceleration and the mass difference together. The question is, how do you interpret the result?

Hello,

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have correctly calculated the applied force using the formula F = m*a. However, it is important to note that there may be some experimental error in your results, as seen in the slight variations in acceleration values in each trial. This could be due to factors such as friction or imprecision in your measurements.

Additionally, it is not clear what units you are using for your acceleration and force values. It is important to use consistent units in your calculations and graphs in order to ensure accuracy.

Overall, it appears that you have a good understanding of the concepts and formulas involved in this practical assignment. Keep in mind that experimental error is normal and expected in scientific experiments, and it is important to consider and account for it in your results and conclusions.

Best of luck with your assignment!

Related to Is My Calculation of Applied Force in a Pulley System Accurate?

1. What is applied force practical?

Applied force practical is a scientific concept that refers to the use of physical force to move an object or change its motion. It involves applying force to an object in a specific direction, with a specific magnitude, and for a specific duration of time.

2. How is applied force practical used in everyday life?

Applied force practical is used in a variety of everyday activities, such as pushing a door open, throwing a ball, riding a bike, or lifting objects. It is also used in more complex applications, such as in the design of machines and structures.

3. How do you measure applied force practical?

Applied force practical can be measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. These instruments measure the force applied to an object in units of Newtons (N).

4. What factors affect the magnitude of applied force practical?

The magnitude of applied force practical is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the friction between the object and its surroundings. The direction of the applied force also plays a role in determining its magnitude.

5. How is applied force practical related to Newton's laws of motion?

Applied force practical is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the applied force and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the applied force, the greater the acceleration of the object.