Is My Approach to Finding Absolute Magnitude Correct?

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a problem related to calculating the luminosity of a star. The student had made a sign mistake in their calculation, but after correcting it, their work appeared to be correct. The tutor provided feedback and confirmed that the student's final expression was correct.
shanepitts

Homework Statement

1.2.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

m1-m2[/SB]=2.5log(ι21)

m-M=2.5log (d/10)2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
1.2 answer.png

Not sure if my approach and answers are correct

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
shanepitts said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 83971 [/B]

Homework Equations

m1-m2[/SB]=2.5log(ι21)

m-M=2.5log (d/10)2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
View attachment 83972

Not sure if my approach and answers are correct

Please help
First question: In your very first line with an equation, you changed the factor of 2.5 to a factor of 5 in front of the log. Why did you do this? This seems to be a mistake.

Likes shanepitts
nrqed said:
First question: In your very first line with an equation, you changed the factor of 2.5 to a factor of 5 in front of the log. Why did you do this? This seems to be a mistake.

I forgot the exponential: m-M=2.5log(d/10)2

shanepitts said:
I forgot the exponential: m-M=2.5log(d/10)2
AH yes, Ok.

EDIT: you seem to have made a sign mistake. In the exponential for the calculation of the luminosity, you should have

M_1 - M_2 = M_1 - ( m +1.99) = 5 -m - 1.99

Then your work looks good. You just need to plug in the value of m=2. The absolute magnitude of the star is smaller than the Sun's absolute magnitude (3.99 versus 5) so the star has a larger luminosity than the Sun's and your final expression agrees with this. All the steps look good.

Likes shanepitts
nrqed said:
AH yes, Ok.

EDIT: you seem to have made a sign mistake. In the exponential for the calculation of the luminosity, you should have

M_1 - M_2 = M_1 - ( m +1.99) = 5 -m - 1.99Then your work looks good. You just need to plug in the value of m=2. The absolute magnitude of the star is smaller than the Sun's absolute magnitude (3.99 versus 5) so the star has a larger luminosity than the Sun's and your final expression agrees with this. All the steps look good.

Thanks a bunch and sorry for the typo

shanepitts said:
Thanks a bunch and sorry for the typo
You are welcome. And no problem about the typo, I make typos all the time :-)

Patrick

Last edited:

Related to Is My Approach to Finding Absolute Magnitude Correct?

1. What is the definition of absolute magnitude?

Absolute magnitude is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of a celestial object, independent of its distance from Earth.

2. How is absolute magnitude different from apparent magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears to be from Earth, while absolute magnitude is a measure of how bright an object would appear if it were placed at a standard distance of 10 parsecs away from Earth.

3. How is absolute magnitude calculated?

The formula for calculating absolute magnitude is: M = m - 5(log(d) - 1), where M is the absolute magnitude, m is the apparent magnitude, and d is the distance to the object in parsecs.

4. Why is absolute magnitude important in astronomy?

Absolute magnitude allows astronomers to compare the intrinsic brightness of celestial objects, which can provide insight into their physical properties and evolutionary stage.

5. How is the absolute magnitude of a star determined?

The absolute magnitude of a star is determined by measuring its apparent magnitude and using the distance to the star, which can be calculated using parallax or other distance indicators.