Is My Acid-Base Mixture Actually Neutral?

In summary, the conversation involves a chemistry lab where the speaker added 5.0 ml of HCl and 5.0 ml of NaOH to a beaker. After stirring, the solution turned alkaline according to pH tests. The speaker questions whether this is correct or if they made a mistake. The responder suggests that the solution may contain an excess of one of the reagents and that the accuracy of the measurements may also play a role. The speaker confirms that their lab teacher provided the reagents and instructed them to use 5 ml of each, and based on their understanding, the NaOH may be more concentrated than the HCl.
david2120
In my chmeistry lab i use a pipet 5.0 ml of HCl and add it to a beaker. To this beaker I also added 5.0 ml NaOH. I stir the mixture and when a red litmus it turn to blue and when i put a blue litmus it stay blue. So that means its a base, but since its a mixture of an acid and a base shouldn't it be neutral? Did I do something wrong or is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your pH test are showing an alkaline solution, then you have either added too much Sodium Hydroxide or the Sodium Hydroxide is more concentrated than the Hydrochloric Acid. In my experience you never get exactly a neutral solution, you tend to go a bit too far.

Assuming you measured volumes with 1% accuracy (not bad) your solution may contain up to 2% excess of one of the reagents. Assuming 0.1M solutions your pH can be anywhere between 3.00 and 11.00 - looks like you have overshot :wink:

well my lab teacher provided the Hcl and NaOH so we don't know how concentrated it is. She only told us to use 5 ml of each and when I put the red litmus it turn blue which means its base. So from my understanding Naoh is more concentrated then HCl since they both had the same amount of ml. Am I Correct?

Yes, assuming of course that you added the same amount, the pipette will have a standard error associated with the volume.

Related to Is My Acid-Base Mixture Actually Neutral?

What is the purpose of a chem lab on acids and bases?

The purpose of a chem lab on acids and bases is to explore the properties and behaviors of these types of compounds in a controlled environment. This can include conducting experiments to determine their pH levels, strengths, and reactions with other substances.

What are some common examples of acids and bases?

Some common examples of acids include vinegar, lemon juice, and battery acid. Common examples of bases include baking soda, soap, and ammonia.

How do acids and bases differ in their chemical makeup?

Acids are characterized by their ability to release hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while bases are characterized by their ability to accept hydrogen ions. Acids typically have a pH below 7, while bases have a pH above 7.

What is the importance of understanding the pH scale in relation to acids and bases?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a substance. Understanding the pH scale is important in chemistry because it can help determine the strength of an acid or base and predict how it will react with other substances.

How can acids and bases be neutralized?

Acids and bases can be neutralized by combining them in equal amounts, resulting in a pH of around 7. Another way to neutralize acids and bases is to add a substance called a buffer, which helps to maintain a stable pH level.