Is Minimal CFT Essential for Understanding String Theory?

In summary, the framework of minimal Conformal Field Theory (CFT) with finite primary fields is not particularly useful in the study of string theory. While it has been applied to non-critical toy models and has been experimentally realized in 2D statphys, it is not considered important or relevant in the context of string theory. This is because CFTs are typically studied as isolated points in the parameter space, while string theory requires a continuous deformation over the moduli of the theory. Additionally, the special subsector of massless fields in CFTs allows for exact solvability, but this does not result in finite primary fields. Overall, the focus in string theory is on geometry rather than algebra, making CFT
crackjack
How useful is the framework of minimal Conformal Field Theory (ie. CFTs with finite primary fields) in String Theory?
From what I have come across, I have only seen its usefulness in studying toy models of minimal string theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
crackjack said:
How useful is the framework of minimal Conformal Field Theory (ie. CFTs with finite primary fields) in String Theory?
From what I have come across, I have only seen its usefulness in studying toy models of minimal string theory.

Right.. non-critical toy models in less than one dimension. Tensor products of (supersymmetric) minimal models were used to decribe exactly solvable models on Calabi-Yau manifolds, but these tensor products aren't minimal any more. Minimal models per se are not too interesting or important in string theory.

The real value of minimal models is in 2D statphys, where they have been realized experimentally e.g. in monolayers of noble gases on a graphite substrate.

Just as a sidenote, the class of CFT's with a finite number of primary fields are called Rational Conformal Field Theories (RCFT). The word 'rational' comes from the fact that all fields carry a conformal dimension equal to some fractional number (the same goes for the central charge).

The minimal models are a special subset within these CFT's, namely the central charge falls in the regime 0 < c < 1.

But I don't know anything about it's application to string theory (apart from the fact that CFT's arise as theories which describe the worldsheet dynamics).

Oh ok.
Is this (not-of-much-use-in-strings) the case even for extended minimal (or RCFT) models? - like those with finite conformal blocks (rather than finite individual primary fields)?

crackjack; said:
Oh ok.
Is this (not-of-much-use-in-strings) the case even for extended minimal (or RCFT) models? - like those with finite conformal blocks (rather than finite individual primary fields)?

Sure, just the same. Each RCFT is minimal with respect to its maximal chiral algebra. So the question essentially is whether RCFTs play an important role. Probably the answer depends whom you ask. I would say, RCFTs are non-generic and emphasize an algebraic structure (namely the one of the extended chiral algebra) that goes away the moment you deform the theory, even slighly. That goes against the spirit of studying continuous parameter families of string vacua.

So there are two schools of thought/taste: the RCFT people study isolated points in the full parameter space (typically with extra symmetries), the benefit being an exact solvability of the CFT and thus in principle, of all correlation functions at a given point. Opposite to this spirit is topological string theory, where one solves only a subsector of the theory (roughly speaking the massless one, which is the relevant one), but as continuous deformation family over the moduli (vacuum parameters) of the theory. Most people find the latter more interesting and important, as for example questions about dualities can be addressed there, while algebraic considerations (RCFT, that is) tend not to be useful. One might loosely say that geometry beats algebra, but that's surely also a matter of taste.

Ok. I think I get you.
When you say one solves the massless case (as against RCFT for a particular parameter), I assume you meant solving for the correlation functions using CFT. So, how does masslessness make CFT solvable? (maybe a sketch or a reference to some book)
From an earlier post above I gather that this masslessness cannot result in finite primary fields.

PS: I recently started on string theory.

crackjack said:
So, how does masslessness make CFT solvable?

It is supersymmetry what is used, CFT only indirectly. More precisely, there is a special subsector in the theory which has special properties, which allows to solve the theory for this subsector (ie, compute the correlation functions, depending on continuous moduli). This "massless" subsector may be called topological, or BPS, or chiral primary, or holomorphic, etc. There is some special geometric structure which makes it "integrable", ie, one can determine the correlators by geometry, which boils down to solve certain differential equations, and/or perfom integrals. As said, this philosophy is in a sense opposite to the one of RCFT, whose structure discontinuously jumps under the smallest perturbations.

Ah ok. Thanks.

Related to Is Minimal CFT Essential for Understanding String Theory?

What is Minimal CFT in String theory?

Minimal CFT (Conformal Field Theory) in String theory is a type of conformal field theory that is used to describe the low energy behavior of strings. It is a simplified version of CFT that only takes into account the most relevant operators in a string theory system.

What is the importance of Minimal CFT in String theory?

Minimal CFT is important in String theory because it allows for a more tractable way to study the dynamics of strings. It also provides a framework for understanding the symmetries and properties of string theory at a fundamental level.

What are the main differences between Minimal CFT and other CFTs?

The main difference between Minimal CFT and other CFTs is that it only considers the most relevant operators, while other CFTs take into account all relevant operators. This makes Minimal CFT simpler and easier to work with, but also limits its applicability to certain systems.

What are some applications of Minimal CFT in String theory?

Minimal CFT has been applied to various areas of String theory, including the study of black holes, cosmology, and holography. It has also been used to investigate the AdS/CFT correspondence, which relates string theory in Anti-de Sitter space to a conformal field theory on the boundary of that space.

How is Minimal CFT related to other areas of physics?

Minimal CFT is related to other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and statistical mechanics. It also has connections to other branches of mathematics, including algebraic geometry and representation theory.