Is middleware a separate software

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, middleware helps bridge the gap between traditional server solutions and online gaming experiences that feature high-definition, high-resolution, graphic-intense presentations. It is a hardware/software type that can be software or hardware, and the general user is unaware of its presence.
jackson6612
An excellent example of middleware would be a suite of software that helps serve an online gaming environment. More and more frequently, online games feature high-definition, high-resolution, graphic-intense presentations. Traditional server solutions are no longer enough to facilitate such online gaming experiences, especially if they are multi-player. Middleware helps bridge the gap, both in reality and in virtual reality.

Source: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-middleware.htm

Hi

I'm a computer layman so I request you to be specific. Thanks.

Is middleware a separate software which needs to be installed in order to play games online? I have seen my cousins playing online multi-player games without the use of any additional software except the game software? Where does this middleware software reside? Does it require a central server? Is it like torrent software (which I think is a middleware) because it allows different users to interact via some server(s). Please help me with it. Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org

I recommend you read your own link. It explains it rather well.

What your article discusses and what you have questioned aren't really on the same track.

Middleware is describing a hardware/software type, not a specific piece of software (e.g. word processor is a software type, MS Word is a specific piece of software).

Think of it like a "man in the middle". You, the consumer want to buy a TV and Samsung sell them. Normally you wouldn't be able to get a TV from them, but you go to a shop which is the "man in the middle", allowing you to buy a TV from Samsung. This is what middleware basically does.

For example, as per the article, if you have two pieces of hardware you want to connect that you wouldn't normally be able to, middleware allows you to do so.

It may be software, it may be hardware. It isn't something specific and the general user isn't even aware of its presence.

"Middle Ware" is a marketing phenom... You could probably apply the name to any chunk of software that was 'in the middle' between one application and another. It's usually applied to communication, messaging, and temporary storage functions. Those are most often on a remote server someplace so you probably don't have to install anything extra on your own machine. In some sense server-side torrent software could be middle-ware, as could be the un-ending layers of OS "media support" software that one seems to need on a Windows PC...

Related to Is middleware a separate software

1. What is middleware?

Middleware is a type of software that connects different applications, systems, or components to each other. It acts as a bridge between the different parts of a software system, allowing them to communicate and exchange data.

2. Is middleware a separate software from the main application?

Yes, middleware is a distinct software that is separate from the main application. It is not directly involved in the core functionality of the application, but rather supports it by providing services such as data communication, security, and transaction management.

3. How does middleware work?

Middleware works by intercepting data and messages between applications or systems, transforming them into a format that can be understood by the receiving component, and then forwarding them to their destination. It also provides additional services such as error handling and logging.

4. What are the benefits of using middleware?

Using middleware can provide various benefits, such as improved interoperability between systems, increased security by handling data encryption, and better performance by optimizing data transmission. It also allows for easier integration of new applications or components into the existing system.

5. Is middleware necessary for all software systems?

No, middleware is not necessary for all software systems. It is typically used in complex applications or systems that require communication between multiple components. Simple applications may not require middleware as they can handle data communication and other services internally.