Is maximum human torque limited by body weight? (cycling)

In summary: But at lower rpm's, the pedals move more quickly and the percentage of force getting transmitted to the pedals increases. This is why you can usually pedal faster with your legs wider apart.
A.Z.Koetsier
I have tried to get some answers related to a humans ability to produce power and torque on cycling forums with mixed response. So I came to the experts to help me out!

Basically some cyclist belief that the maximum torque a human can produce is solely limited by their body weight keeping them down or they would just lift up.

And others believe you can hold on to the handlebars and also counter balance the one leg by pulling on the other, thus maximum torque is not entirely dictated by your weight but rather your ability to counter all the forces.

Also would maximum torque always occur at zero rpm or would it be possible to achieve it at a higher rpm?

Physics news on Phys.org
Standing up while pulling up on the handlebars enables a force greater than your weight. It may also be possible to lift up with one foot while pushing down with the other when clipped in.

The thing is, though, maximizing input torque is generally not an important consideration, since you have bikes with so many gears today. Maximizing or managing (for efficiency/duration) power output is more critical.

russ_watters said:
Standing up while pulling up on the handlebars enables a force greater than your weight. It may also be possible to lift up with one foot while pushing down with the other when clipped in.

The thing is, though, maximizing input torque is generally not an important consideration, since you have bikes with so many gears today. Maximizing or managing (for efficiency/duration) power output is more critical.

Ok, Thanks for clarifying that. Would max torque always occur at zero rpm? Or if given enough resistance, would the momentum of the cyclist's legs and drive train be able to contribute to a higher torque at higher rpm, say 30-40rpm?

A.Z.Koetsier said:
Ok, Thanks for clarifying that. Would max torque always occur at zero rpm? Or if given enough resistance, would the momentum of the cyclist's legs and drive train be able to contribute to a higher torque at higher rpm, say 30-40rpm?

The amount of torque produced isn't constant. You can generate far more torque with the pedals in a horizontal position than in a vertical position, when your weight won't be any help. If you move at a very low rpm, you probably won't be able to use your speed to get past the pedal position with low torque, and you will get stuck if the minimum amount of torque isn't enough to overcome resistance.

High performance bicycling uses straps or clip in shoes to allow torque during the upstroke. This also overcomes the problem of lifting up the rider if they push down on the pedal with more force than their weight.

Lets add some numbers & please entertain me with using a 100kg cyclist, always exciting to see examples which one can relate to :)

Forgive my maths if it makes no sense. it is after all a collaborations of my understandings of universal physics guided by my assistant, Google.

If a 100kg cyclist would put all is weight onto one pedal with no weight on his seat or handle bars and the other foot held totally neutral to any force.

He would be pushing 980.67 Newtons into the pedal. Provided the crank and pedal is at 3 0'Clock on 172.5mm crank arms (standard size) He would be producing 169.16Nm at the crank spindle?

Now considering this is essentially just a cyclist in a ballet pose on one pedal. Adding the force of the other leg pulling and the arms pulling on the bars to push even more force into the downstroke surely this number could be doubled leaving a human cable of pushing over 300Nm! A respectable number even for sports cars.

All of this would take place at 0km/h. Would this be the highest point of torque or could it increase even more once the legs are rotating and have momentum behind them?

I am aware that power = speed and that achieving a higher RPM with even just 90Nm or so would result in higher wattage/speed. I am just curious at which point max torque is being produced.

The highest torque is at 0 rpm. As you start pedaling, some of the force generated by your muscles goes into making your legs move and therefore doesn't get transmitted to the pedals.

Related to Is maximum human torque limited by body weight? (cycling)

1. What is maximum human torque?

Maximum human torque is the maximum amount of force that a human can generate in a rotational motion, such as pedaling a bicycle.

2. How is maximum human torque measured?

Maximum human torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm), and can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Is maximum human torque limited by body weight?

Yes, body weight can have a significant impact on maximum human torque. As body weight increases, the muscles must work harder to generate the same amount of force, resulting in a lower maximum torque.

4. Are there other factors that can limit maximum human torque?

Yes, there are other factors that can limit maximum human torque, such as muscle strength, muscle endurance, and technique. These factors can vary from person to person and can also be improved through training and conditioning.

5. How can body weight affect maximum human torque in cycling?

Body weight can affect maximum human torque in cycling in several ways. Firstly, as mentioned earlier, a higher body weight can result in a lower maximum torque. Additionally, body weight can also affect a cyclist's power-to-weight ratio, which is a key factor in cycling performance. A lower body weight relative to power output can result in a higher power-to-weight ratio and potentially higher maximum torque.