Is mathematica wrong about this integral?

In summary: Is there a similar statement with multivariables? For some reason I thought the substitution u=(x+y2) and v=y would help me see it better, but the boundaries are kind of weird when you do this. In fact I don't really understand the new boundaries when x and y can range freely from -∞ to ∞ .The boundaries of the domain and range are represented by the Taylor series at the point(x,y). For example, if x and y are in the domain(-∞,∞), then the Taylor series at that point is:u=x+y2=x+v^2, or the parabola u-v^2=
geoduck
When I type in this integral into Mathematica:

$$\int_1^\infty \int_1^\infty \frac{dxdy}{(x+y^2)^2}$$
using a large number like 1020 instead of ∞, Mathematica gives me 0.785398. No matter what large number I use, Mathematica always gives me around that value.

However, doing the integral by hand, I get it diverges. I make the substitution u=x+y^2 and v=y. The Jacobian of the transformation is 1, so I get:

$$\int_1^\infty \int_1^\infty \frac{dxdy}{(x+y^2)^2}=

\int_1^\infty dv \int_2^\infty \frac{du}{u^2}=(\infty-1)(\frac{1}{2})
$$

which is divergent.

Also, I noticed weird behavior by Mathematica too. If I change the exponent ##(x+y^2)^2## to a non-integer like ##(x+y^2)^{2.1}##, then the integral jumps from being zero or very large.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
geoduck said:
The Jacobian of the transformation is 1
What happened to du/dy?

Your u-v limits of integration are off. The image of the transformation that you used is not a rectangle. Think about the images of the boundary curves x=1 and y=1 of the original region to deduce the boundary curves for the transformed region.

Alternatively, you might find it easier to just evaluate the original iterated integral using the "elementary" techniques of integration from single-variable calculus; i.e. how would you have evaluated $$\int_1^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x+a)^2}dx$$ last semester?

Likes 1 person
The Jacobian is du/dx dv/dy-du/dy dv/dx, and since dv/dx is zero I figured it doesn't matter what du/dy is, even if du/dy approaches infinity.

gopher_p said:
Your u-v limits of integration are off. The image of the transformation that you used is not a rectangle. Think about the images of the boundary curves x=1 and y=1 of the original region to deduce the boundary curves for the transformed region.

Alternatively, you might find it easier to just evaluate the original iterated integral using the "elementary" techniques of integration from single-variable calculus; i.e. how would you have evaluated $$\int_1^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x+a)^2}dx$$ last semester?

Thanks, I got the area wrong. That weird area makes the integral tricky, so your suggestion is better.

The integral can be done by just calculating the two succesive integrals. Start with
[tex]f(y)=\int_1^{\infty} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{(x+y^2)^2} = \left . -\frac{1}{(x+y^2)} \right|_{x=1}^{\infty}=\frac{1}{1+y^2}.[/tex]
The [itex]y[/itex] integral gives
[tex]\int_1^{\infty} \mathrm{d} y \frac{1}{1+y^2}=\left . \arctan y \right|_{y=1}^{\infty}=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{\pi}{4}.[/tex]
Mathematica 9 gives the right answer analytically.

Likes 1 person
vanhees71 said:
The integral can be done by just calculating the two succesive integrals. Start with
[tex]f(y)=\int_1^{\infty} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{(x+y^2)^2} = \left . -\frac{1}{(x+y^2)} \right|_{x=1}^{\infty}=\frac{1}{1+y^2}.[/tex]
The [itex]y[/itex] integral gives
[tex]\int_1^{\infty} \mathrm{d} y \frac{1}{1+y^2}=\left . \arctan y \right|_{y=1}^{\infty}=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{\pi}{4}.[/tex]
Mathematica 9 gives the right answer analytically.

What if you have the integral

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dxdy}{1+(x+y^2)^2}$$

I'm not interested in the answer but more in how to tell if it converges or not. The denominator never goes to zero, and far away the integrand is zero. In single-variable calculus, I think it is sufficient that the integrand falls off faster than 1/x at infinity, and doesn't blow up at any finite value of x.

Is there a similar statement with multivariables? For some reason I thought the substitution u=(x+y2) and v=y would help me see it better, but the boundaries are kind of weird when you do this. In fact I don't really understand the new boundaries when x and y can range freely from -∞ to ∞ .

For example take the boundary y=∞, x=anything:

Then the corresponding boundary is: v=∞, u=anything+(∞)^2

I don't know how to handle anything+(∞)^2...is it equal to anything? If it is equal to anything, then the line y=∞, x=anything maps to the line v=∞, u=anything.

Also the boundary x=∞, y=anything is weird too:

then you have: u=x+y2=x+v^2, or the parabola u-v^2=∞. What type of boundary is this?

Or more simply, is the boundary of u and v also a box from -∞ to ∞?

Related to Is mathematica wrong about this integral?

1. How can Mathematica be wrong about an integral?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving integrals, it is not infallible. It relies on algorithms and numerical methods that may not always produce accurate results. In complex or unusual cases, it is possible for Mathematica to give incorrect answers.

2. What are some common reasons for Mathematica to give wrong answers for integrals?

One common reason is that the integral may be too complex for Mathematica to solve accurately. It may also encounter issues with numerical precision or encounter singularities in the function being integrated.

3. How can I check if Mathematica's answer for an integral is correct?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of Mathematica's answer, you can try solving the integral by hand or using a different computational tool. You can also try varying the input parameters to see if the answer changes significantly.

4. Is it always necessary to double check Mathematica's answers for integrals?

No, it is not always necessary to double check Mathematica's answers. In most cases, Mathematica will provide accurate results. However, it is always a good practice to verify the answer, especially in cases where the integral is particularly complicated or when the input parameters are close to the limits of the function's domain.

5. What should I do if I believe Mathematica's answer for an integral is wrong?

If you believe that Mathematica has given an incorrect answer for an integral, you can try adjusting the input parameters or using a different method of integration. You can also consult with other mathematicians or experts in the field to get their perspective on the integral and its solution.