Is Lorentz contraction explained by space time diagram ?

In summary: The light-clock diamonds are modeled after one tick of an observer's clock.Once that tick is established along that observer's worldline, that tick becomes the prototype for all measurements (temporal and spatial) made by that observer.From the graphics in my Insight,...and then for Bob(where the key construction is that Bob's light-clock diamonds have the same area as Alice's)You can tile the plane with Bob's light-clock diamonds.
sweet springs
Is there a way to explain Lorentz contraction on space-time diagrams ?
I cannot find a way by myself. Your teaching will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

In your drawing you set $$v=\frac{c}{2}$$.

I read
$$L'=2.6*\sqrt{5}= 5.81 cm$$
$$L=4 cm$$
Thus the formula in the drawing gives $$v=0.73c$$ ?

I am not sure of my reading. I should appreciate your teaching.

sweet springs said:
Thanks.

I read
$$L=4 cm$$

I am not sure of my reading. I should appreciate your teaching.

I'm not sure where you are getting those numbers from.

sweet springs said:
I cannot find a way by myself. Your teaching will be appreciated.

It's not quite what you asked for, but Robphy's Physics forum insight article (or his pubished paper). The PF article is "Spacetime Diagrams of Light Clocks" is at is at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/spacetime-diagrams-light-clocks/. While a light clock isn't usually presented as leading to Lorentz contraction, it can do so.

A draft version of the pubished paper, "Relativity on Rotated Graph Paper", is on arxiv. The full version, http://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.4943251 is unfortunately paywalled (last I herad, at least).

The part that may not be explained is how to get length contraction out of the light clock diagram. But the light clock has a constant proper length. The ends of the diamond that represent the light clock are not simultaneous, but if you draw the usual light clock using the rotated graph paper technique (or another technique, but the rotated graph paper technique is especially simple), you can find the projection of the "titled" light clock onto the spatial part of the space-time diagram in a fairly straightforwards manner.

Or you can use multiple light clock diagrams. I'm fairly sure there are some PF posts that go through this missing detail by Rob, but I'm not sure where.

sweet springs said:
The others provided good links on the standard Minkowski space-time diagrams.

Additionally it might be useful to have a look a space-propertime diagrams, which show the geometric relation between movement, length contraction and time dilation more directly:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/relativity.swf

Last edited:
Thanks perverct and A.T. I expect more obvious showing like the ratio of such and such length in spacetime diagram is gamma but it seems too much.

sweet springs said:
Thanks.

I read
$$L=4 cm$$

At a speed of ##0.5\ c## and ##L' \approx 5.8## we should have ##L\approx5.0##.

In the figure they've mislabeled either the length ##L## or the length ##L'##.

I'd need more context to figure out which.

Here is a diagram of length contraction taken from my paper (referenced by @pervect). (Thanks @pervect .)
It's a standard minkowski diagram with worldlines supplemented with light clocks (in accordance with Minkowski spacetime geometry... so that you can measure by simply counting ticks [light-clock diamonds].)

RRGP-LengthContraction-sm.png

Last edited:
Likes PeterDonis
Thanks robphy. Your light-clock diamonds seem to rely on light travel. Lorentz contraction works between two events of space-distance where no light can travel between. Doesn't it matter?

The details of the explanation below are in my paper
and on the https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/spacetime-diagrams-light-clocks/ Insight.

The light-clock diamonds are modeled after one tick of an observer's clock.
Once that tick is established along that observer's worldline, that tick becomes the prototype for all measurements (temporal and spatial) made by that observer.
(It's like saying that once I have one little box on a page, I can tile the page with that box to obtain a sheet of graph paper... which of course exploits the symmetries of the plane with a euclidean metric.)

From the graphics in my Insight,...

diagram-AliceLightClock-300x286.png

clockDiamonds-Alice-300x190.png
clockDiamonds-AliceCoords-300x296.png

and then for Bob
(where the key construction is that Bob's light-clock diamonds have the same area as Alice's)
clockDiamonds-BobTicks-300x219.png

You can tile the plane with Bob's light-clock diamonds.
In my earlier length-contraction diagram, you see Bob's diamonds along his t- and x-axes.You can play with idea here
https://www.geogebra.org/m/HYD7hB9v#material/VrQgQq9R ,
where you can draw line-segments (timelike, spacelike, or lightlike) on a spacetime diagram with the special tool on its toolbar.
The diamonds help you measure the square-interval of the segment using that observer's coordinates.

Related to Is Lorentz contraction explained by space time diagram ?

1. What is Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction is a phenomenon in which an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when observed by an observer at rest. This is a consequence of the theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How is Lorentz contraction explained by a space-time diagram?

A space-time diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time. It shows the position of an object in space at different points in time. In the context of Lorentz contraction, a space-time diagram can be used to illustrate how an object's length appears to change when it is moving at high speeds.

3. Why does Lorentz contraction occur?

Lorentz contraction occurs because of the time dilation effect in special relativity. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object, causing its length to appear shorter to an observer at rest.

4. Is Lorentz contraction an observable phenomenon?

Yes, Lorentz contraction has been observed and verified through experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. It has also been confirmed through various technological applications, such as particle accelerators and GPS systems.

5. Does Lorentz contraction only apply to objects moving at near-light speeds?

Yes, Lorentz contraction is only significant for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. At everyday speeds, the effect is too small to be observed. However, it is taken into account in many scientific and technological applications, such as satellite communication and particle physics experiments.