Is learning epsilon-delta proofs before analysis a good idea

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of supplementary texts for understanding limits in differential calculus. It is suggested to get comfortable with the foundations of higher math before delving into more rigorous material. The recommendation is to focus on differential calculus, integral calculus, vector calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and potentially a proofs class before moving on to analysis.
Magenta55
Hello PF people. It's my first post here, but I have been lurking around this forum for awhile now.

I'm currently learning differential calculus using a text by Stewart and I want to attain a better comprehension of pure mathematics.

My question is: would it be a good idea to get another text to supplement Stewart and gain a deeper understanding of how limits work using the epsilon-delta definitions at this stage of my education? or would this be a waste of time (meaning, is it better to finish integral calculus and vector calculus, then start analysis)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd say there's no harm in learning it along with your work, provided it doesn't interfere with the basics of what you're learning now. I started reading Spivak to supplement my calculus knowledge while I was in Calc II.

Stewart isn't a terribly rigorous introduction to calculus; if you want something more mathematically pure and rigorous, Michael Spivak's ``Calculus" is a favorite in the math community for its emphasis on theory and proofs.

Learning ##\delta - \epsilon## proofs isn't crucial to understanding limits (especially if you're just getting into calculus yourself). I would say just get comfortable with what I would call the ``foundation" of higher math. This includes:
-Differential Calculus (derivative rules, word problems, etc.)
-Integral Calculus (right/left sums, Riemann Integrals, FTC I and II, solids of revolution, etc.)
-Vector Calculus (dot/cross product, equations of planes, parametrizing curves in space, curl, flux, divergence, Stokes, Green, Jacobians, etc.)
-Diff Eq. (Laplace transforms, physics problems, etc.)
-Linear Algebra (Vector spaces, bases, inverses, ranks, determinants, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, eigenspaces, etc.)
-[Maybe a proofs class somewhere in here?]

So try to bone up on the topics above (i.e., get really comfortable with it). If your aim is to pursue higher math, I wouldn't recommend skipping any steps or you might risk overwhelming yourself with too much theory without having seen many applications and how the material is related. So, there's no harm in exposing yourself to some analysis now, although it's probably more practical to wait until you have all your bases covered.

Related to Is learning epsilon-delta proofs before analysis a good idea

1. Is learning epsilon-delta proofs difficult?

Learning epsilon-delta proofs can be challenging, but with dedication and practice, it is definitely achievable. It requires a strong foundation in algebra and calculus, so it may take some time to fully grasp the concepts.

2. Why is learning epsilon-delta proofs important?

Epsilon-delta proofs are an essential tool in analysis, which is a fundamental branch of mathematics. They are used to rigorously prove mathematical statements and theorems, and they are also crucial in real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. Can I learn analysis without learning epsilon-delta proofs?

Technically, yes, you can learn some aspects of analysis without learning epsilon-delta proofs. However, it is highly recommended to learn them as they provide a solid foundation for understanding and applying more advanced concepts in analysis.

4. Will learning epsilon-delta proofs help me in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, learning epsilon-delta proofs can improve your problem-solving skills and logical reasoning abilities, which are valuable in many areas of mathematics. It also introduces you to important concepts such as limits and continuity, which are used in various branches of mathematics.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in epsilon-delta proofs?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in epsilon-delta proofs is to work through a variety of examples and exercises. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and tutors. It's important to be patient and persistent, as it may take time to fully master these proofs.