Is <L^2> always greater than or equal to 0 for a Hermitian operator?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the proof that $<\mathcal{L}^2>=\int_{}^{}\Psi^* \mathcal{L}^2 \Psi \,d\tau \ge 0$ when given that the operator $\mathcal{L}$ is Hermitian. The participants discuss the expectation value $<\mathcal{L}>$, its relation to the operator, and the concept of Hermitian operators. They also touch upon the use of complex numbers and their properties when dealing with operators.
ognik
I'm given an operator $\mathcal{L}$ is Hermitian, and asked to show $<\mathcal{L}^2>$ is $\ge 0$
I believe $<\mathcal{L}>$ is the expectation value, $=\int_{}^{}\Psi^* \mathcal{L} \Psi \,d\tau $

(Side issue: I am not sure what $d\tau $ is, perhaps a small region of space? And the interval?)

I can show that $<\mathcal{L}>$ is real, ie $<\mathcal{L}> = <\mathcal{L}^*>$, doesn't seem useful here ...

I tried $ <\mathcal{L}^2>=\int_{}^{}\Psi^* \mathcal{L}^2 \Psi \,d\tau $ $ =\int_{}^{}\Psi^* \mathcal{L} \mathcal{L} \Psi \,d\tau $ $ =\int_{}^{}(\mathcal{L}^*\Psi)^* \mathcal{L} \Psi \,d\tau $
${ (\Psi^* \mathcal{L}) = (\mathcal{L}^* \Psi)^*} $

I could argue that inside the integral we have $ (\mathcal{L} \Psi) $ times it's conjugate which must therefore be positive, but as you can see I have a spurious conjugate in $(\mathcal{L}^* \Psi)^* $ Any ideas?
-----
I am then asked to show that if <A> is real, then A must be Hermitian w.r.t. $\psi$
$ <A>=\int \psi^* A \psi \,d\tau = <\psi|A \psi>. $
But $A=A^*$ so <A>= $\int \psi^*A^*\psi d\tau =<A\psi|\psi> $ $ \therefore <\psi|A \psi> =<A\psi|\psi> $ and A is Hermitian

Is that good enough?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't $\mathcal{L}^* = \mathcal{L}$ since $\mathcal{L}$ is Hermitian? So $\mathcal{L}^2 = \mathcal{L}^*\mathcal{L}$, and thus

$$\langle \mathcal{L^2}\rangle = \int \Psi^*(\tau) \mathcal{L}^*(\tau) \mathcal{L}(\tau)\Psi(\tau)\, d\tau = \int (\mathcal{L}\Psi)^*(\tau) (\mathcal{L}\Psi)(\tau)\, d\tau = \|\mathcal{L}\Psi\|^2 \ge 0.$$

You're right of course Euge (I should have seen that immediately!). I saw what I did with $L^2$ somewhere while researching expectation value; it's obviously wrong - just shows how valuable this forum is, my gratitude is endless :-)

I think my 2nd part is right?

Your 2nd part is wrong. You used circular logic, namely, you assumed $A$ is Hermitian in order to prove $A$ is Hermitian.

You want to show that $\langle A\rangle = \langle A^*\rangle$. Try proving that.

Euge said:
Your 2nd part is wrong. You used circular logic, namely, you assumed $A$ is Hermitian in order to prove $A$ is Hermitian.
I used A = to it's complex conjugate, IE A is real. Then I showed that $ <ψ|Aψ> =<Aψ|ψ> $
My book states that 'An operator $L$ is Hermitian if $<ψ_1 |Lψ_2>=<Lψ_1 | ψ_2>$'

I would just like to understand why this is wrong, it still doesn't seem circular?

Note that in my solution, I said $But A=A^∗, so <A>= ...$, that was abbreviated, I could have said But $A=A^∗ so <A^*>= ..$ and then continued to the same conclusion, namely $ <ψ|Aψ> =<Aψ|ψ> $

You want to show that $\langle A\rangle = \langle A^*\rangle$. Try proving that.

I definitely will, want to absorb Deveno's post on terminology first ...

ognik said:
I used A = to it's complex conjugate, IE A is real.

How do you know that $A$ is real? The condition is that $\langle A\rangle$ is real, not that $A$ is real. So you have $\langle A\rangle = \overline{\langle A\rangle}$. Now $\langle A\rangle = \langle \Psi|A\Psi\rangle$ and so $\overline{\langle A\rangle} = \langle A\Psi|\Psi\rangle$. Hence $\langle A\rangle = \overline{\langle A\rangle}$ if and only if $\langle \Psi|A\Psi\rangle = \langle A\Psi|\Psi\rangle$.

OK - easy if one reads the question correctly <blush>

So I also tried it using the integral form and have another of my curious questions (I prefer * for conjugate):

$ <A>^*=\int (\Psi^* A \Psi)^* = \int \Psi A^*\Psi^* =<\Psi|A\Psi>^* $, but
$ <A>= \int \Psi^*A\Psi =<\Psi|A\Psi>$,

I completely understand why using the 'dirac form' gives A Hermitian, just wondering what I did wrong with the integral form approach?

ognik said:
$ <A>^*=\int (\Psi^* A \Psi)^* = \int \Psi A^*\Psi^* =<\Psi|A\Psi>^* $, but
$ <A>= \int \Psi^*A\Psi =<\Psi|A\Psi>$

Wait, $(\Psi^* A\Psi)^* = (A\Psi)^*(\Psi^*)^* = (A\Psi)^*\Psi$, and so

$$\langle A\rangle^* = \int (A\Psi)^*\Psi = \langle A\Psi|\Psi\rangle.$$

Now $\langle A\rangle = \langle \Psi|A\Psi\rangle$, so then $\langle \Psi|A\Psi\rangle = \langle A\Psi|\Psi\rangle$ as $\langle A\rangle = \langle A\rangle^*$.

Euge said:
Wait, $(\Psi^* A\Psi)^* = (A\Psi)^*(\Psi^*)^* = (A\Psi)^*\Psi$

I thought with a product conjugated, the order stayed the same, only swaps with Transpose?

The intermediate step of the first equality is $(\Psi^*)^*(A\Psi)^*$.

Euge said:
The intermediate step of the first equality is $(\Psi^*)^*(A\Psi)^*$.

Yes; Don't follow how you are then able to swap the order?

What do you mean, and why are you referring to a transpose? When multiplying complex numbers, you're allowed to swap the order, because the complex numbers are commutative. For example, $(1 + i)(1 - i) = 2 = (1 - i)(1 + i)$.

Transpose - I was referring to $ (AB)^T = B^TA^T$ , ie the order swaps.
But for conjugate I understood $ (AB)^*=A^*B^*$, can't swap the order?

Good point about swapping complex numbers, but was under the impression you can't do that if one of the 'numbers' includes an operator. So I think $ (A\Psi)^* $ must be $A^*\Psi^* $ and can't be swapped?

Your approach suggests an operator acting on a complex number results in a complex number so we can treat $(A\Psi)$ as a complex number which we can swap with another complex number; is that always the case, or are we assumed to be working only with operators for which that is true?

Also $\Psi$ can be a vector, function or a state - those are also commutative.
I think I have understood something new - if this all makes sense?

ognik said:
Transpose - I was referring to $ (AB)^T = B^TA^T$ , ie the order swaps.
But for conjugate I understood $ (AB)^*=A^*B^*$, can't swap the order?
Yes, I know about the transpose, but I don't see how that is relevant to the problem of showing $\langle A\rangle $ is real $\implies$ $A$ is Hermitian.

Good point about swapping complex numbers, but was under the impression you can't do that if one of the 'numbers' includes an operator. So I think $ (A\Psi)^* $ must be $A^*\Psi^* $ and can't be swapped?
Realize that $A^*$, the adjoint of $A$, is not the same as the conjugate of $A$. So I don't understand what you mean here.

Your approach suggests an operator acting on a complex number results in a complex number so we can treat $(A\Psi)$ as a complex number which we can swap with another complex number; is that always the case, or are we assumed to be working only with operators for which that is true?
Really, you're supposed to tell us the conditions of $A$ and $\Psi$, giving the full definitions. However, judging from the context of your other posts, I assumed at the least that $\Psi$ is a state or wavefunction (so it is complex-valued) and $A$ is an operator acting on such functions. Then $A\Psi$ is a complex-valued function, and the equation $[\Psi^*(A\Psi)]^* = (\Psi^*)^*(A\Psi)^*$ makes sense.

Euge said:
Realize that $A^*$, the adjoint of $A$, is not the same as the conjugate of $A$. So I don't understand what you mean here...
I think I see the problem, my book uses * for complex conjugate and $\dagger$ for adjoint/hermitain; there seems to be no majority agreement on notation here - this is one of the main reasons I am trying to put together a simple table for me to use, specifically for this course :-)

Euge said:
Yes, I know about the transpose, but I don't see how that is relevant to the problem of showing $\langle A\rangle $ is real $\implies$ $A$ is Hermitian..
I was saying that only with Transpose do we swap the order, not with complex conjugate. Adjoint/Hermitian include a transpose operation so they also must swap, so your * is my $\dagger$ and both have inherent swaps. So all good now.

Really, you're supposed to tell us the conditions of $A$ and $\Psi$, giving the full definitions. However, judging from the context of your other posts, I assumed at the least that $\Psi$ is a state or wavefunction (so it is complex-valued) and $A$ is an operator acting on such functions. Then $A\Psi$ is a complex-valued function, and the equation $[\Psi^*(A\Psi)]^* = (\Psi^*)^*(A\Psi)^*$ makes sense.
Thanks for that, the problem didn't give context for $A$ and $\Psi$, but I am sure your assumption is correct. So I can treat complex functions/states with normal complex algebra. (just something I don't think I had come across explicitly, seemed 'intuitively' likely, but I wanted to check)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is <L^2> always greater than or equal to 0 for a Hermitian operator?

1. What is the square of expectation value?

The square of expectation value is a mathematical concept used in statistics and probability theory. It represents the average or expected value of a random variable squared. It is denoted by E(X^2), where X is the random variable.

2. How is the square of expectation value calculated?

The square of expectation value is calculated by taking the expected value of the squared values of a random variable. This can be done by multiplying each possible value of the random variable by its probability of occurrence and then summing up all the values.

3. What is the significance of the square of expectation value?

The square of expectation value is a measure of the variability or dispersion of a random variable. It is used to quantify the spread of values around the expected value and can help to understand the likelihood of different outcomes.

4. How does the square of expectation value differ from the expectation value?

The expectation value represents the average or mean value of a random variable, while the square of expectation value represents the squared average or mean value. The square of expectation value is often used in conjunction with the expectation value to analyze the distribution of a random variable.

5. Can the square of expectation value be negative?

Yes, the square of expectation value can be negative if the random variable has negative values or if the spread of values is large enough. However, it is more commonly a positive value, as it represents the squared average of the values.