Is it too late to pursue engineering at 25?

• Thread starter ZenOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary: Just stay focused and don't let the age thing scare you away. In summary, if you can get your prerequisites done at a community college, it will last one year and be four times more expensive, but you will have a better foundation in the field. If you can afford to go back to college and do the prerequisites again, it will last two years and be cheaper. Either way, make sure you are happy with the decision you make.
ZenOne
Hi, I am new to the forums and looking for some academic guidance.

I am 25 years old and almost done my degree in behavioral neuroscience, however, I want to be an engineer more than anything. I am interested in engineering for many different reasons (I will not bore you with the details) and the only reason it took me so long to complete my undergraduate degree was because I found my course material incredibly boring.

Now, when I am done I will need to redo all the prerequisites for engineering which will take a while (in Canada your prerequisites have to have been done in the last 5 years--it has been longer for me); either way, I am in Quebec (not French) and we have a slightly different system that does not include grade 12--you need a Cegep/College degree to go to university. I was wondering if you guys think I should simply do my prerequisites in university and apply to engineering from there on or if I should go back to Cegep and do the 2 years in engineering sciences to get a good basic grounding before entering an engineering program (really looking at Chemical Engineering at McGill). Bottom line, the prerequisites in university would last 1 year and cost 4 times more than doing them in Cegep, however, it would take one year more in Cegep.

The reason I am so confused is my age--I realize I am no spring chicken, however, I really want to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, the Cegep program involves more classes than just the basic prerequisites (it includes cal 3, organic chem and differential equations 2 etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No input from anyone? I'm really confused as to what I should do--any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the option, do what you love before you get bogged down with responsibilities.
I have kids, and I would love to finish my Doctorate, but it becomes extremely difficult when you have responsibilities.
Keep in mind 2 things:
- cognitive abilities start to decline at about 30, so you need to be able to comfortably handle the math.
- you will never be good at what you do if you don't enjoy it.

My 2 cents - go for your dreams, but be sure that engineering is what you think it is!

I am in a similar situation, but from the U.S.

I have a B.A. in the social sciences, but am pursuing a new career in engineering. I do have a bit of math/stats under my belt, but need many, many more courses for this new field of study.

I have decided to finish up the basic pre-reqs at a community college and continue on to receive a BSE at a four year university. I chose this path after consulting two similar options you have outlined. I could have applied to MEng programs and have to take undergraduate prereqs to get caught up, costing more, yet taking less time (similar to you going straight to uni). I chose the longer, cheaper option because I wanted a better basic grounding in the field. I know I am not fit to jump straight into this.

If you are worried about age, so am I (I am 25). However, I think you have to realize that you are...25. That is pretty young. We may be in our mid 20's, but we have a lot going for us--we're more mature, have completed a good deal of college work, and have more life experiences. You need to use this to your advantage and simply recognize that you still have an entire lifetime ahead of you. Even if you enter the workforce a few years later than your peers, you will be backed up by more experiences.

I had a friend who started Electrical Engineering at the age of 24. I mean started. He did his GED while working construction, but within a year of starting down his educational path was doing calculus. You are not disadvantaged for pursuing this now, especially with higher education under your belt.

Related to Is it too late to pursue engineering at 25?

1. How can I improve my academic performance?

There are a few key things you can do to improve your academic performance. First, make sure you are attending all your classes and taking good notes. Second, actively participate in class discussions and ask questions when you don't understand something. Third, stay organized and keep track of assignment due dates. Fourth, form study groups with other students to review material and prepare for exams. Lastly, don't be afraid to seek help from your professors or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular subject.

2. How do I balance my academic workload with other responsibilities?

Balancing your academic workload with other responsibilities can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific times for studying and completing assignments. Don't be afraid to say no to social activities or other commitments if they interfere with your academic responsibilities. It's also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

3. How can I improve my study habits?

To improve your study habits, start by finding a quiet and comfortable place to study that is free from distractions. Break up your study sessions into smaller chunks with breaks in between, as this has been shown to increase retention of information. Use active studying techniques, such as summarizing information, creating flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else. Finally, don't wait until the last minute to study – spread out your studying over several days to avoid cramming.

4. How do I choose a major or field of study?

Choosing a major or field of study can be a daunting task, but it's important to choose something that interests you and aligns with your career goals. Take some time to research different majors and talk to students or faculty in those fields to get a better understanding of what they entail. Consider taking a variety of classes in different subjects to see what you enjoy the most. It's also okay to change your major if you realize it's not the right fit for you.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed academically?

There are many resources available to help you succeed academically. Your university likely has a writing center or tutoring center where you can get help with specific subjects. Most professors also have office hours where you can go to ask questions or get clarification on course material. Additionally, there are many online resources such as study guides, practice quizzes, and educational videos that can supplement your learning. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when you need it.