Is it specific capacitance (Csp) is proportional to current density?

In summary: This phenomenon is observed in many published journals, such as the two attached here, and it is important to consider when designing and interpreting experiments related to specific capacitance. In summary, the specific capacitance is increased with an increase in applied current, but the effect of the IR drop causes a decrease in the voltage and thus a decrease in the discharging slope and specific capacitance. This explains the discrepancy between the expected and observed behavior of specific capacitance with an increase in current density.
N.F. Zain
I've run the experiment. By varying the current and fix the mass of the electrode, I found out that the specific capacitance (Csp) is increased when applied current (I) is increased.

By using this formula,

Csp = 4I / [M*(dV/dt)],

where I is the applied current, M is the mass of both electrodes, and dV/dt is the discharging slope after the IR drop, respectively.

Current density = I/M,
where I is the applied current, M is the mass of both electrodes.

Logically speaking, we can see from the formula above that Csp is proportional to I, M is fixed for all samples, but most of the published journals have reported that Csp is decreased when current density (I/M) is increased.

How could this happen? Please somebody help me with the brief explanation. TQVM. :(

Here I attached the related journals to this problem,
1) http://iopscience.iop.org/0957-4484...&spage=13574&stitle=Proc.+Natl+Acad.+Sci.+USA
2)http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013468606010851

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason that the specific capacitance (Csp) is decreased when current density (I/M) is increased is because of the effect of the IR drop caused by the applied current. The IR drop is a voltage drop across the electrodes due to the resistance of the electrolyte, and it causes a decrease in the voltage between the two electrodes. As a result, the discharging slope of the capacitor (dV/dt) is decreased, leading to a decrease in the specific capacitance (Csp).

Related to Is it specific capacitance (Csp) is proportional to current density?

1. Is specific capacitance directly proportional to current density?

No, specific capacitance (Csp) is not directly proportional to current density. It is a non-linear relationship and can vary depending on the material and conditions.

2. How does specific capacitance change with current density?

Specific capacitance generally decreases as current density increases. This can be due to factors such as increased resistance and diffusion limitations.

3. What is the relationship between specific capacitance and current density?

The relationship between specific capacitance and current density is known as the Csp-J relationship. It is a curve that shows the non-linear relationship between the two variables.

4. Can specific capacitance be calculated from current density?

No, specific capacitance cannot be directly calculated from current density. Other factors such as the electrode material and electrolyte composition must also be taken into account.

5. How does specific capacitance affect the performance of a capacitor?

Specific capacitance plays a significant role in the performance of a capacitor. A higher specific capacitance means a higher energy storage capacity and better overall performance.