Is It Safe to Connect the Bare Ground Wire to the Metal Box for 240V Machinery?

• Thread starter frogdogbb
  • Start date
In summary, when dealing with a household electrical distribution box, it is important to install a disconnect at the meter and ensure that the neutral and ground are not tied together at the breaker box. When using a 240V device with a three prong plug, the neutral should be connected to the chassis of the device and the other end should be connected to the ground bar in the service panel, not the neutral bus bar. The code no longer allows for sharing of ground and neutral on 240V appliances.
frogdogbb
I am not sure how to approach this problem with my household electrical distribution box. My main panel inside the house is located away from the wall where the meter is. I know I have to have a disconnect at the meter which I am going to install where the neutral and ground are tied together, also the neutral and ground will not be tied together at the breaker box. My question is this...

If I have 240V machinery that has a three prong plug where the neutral is what is part of the metal part of the recepticle and the box is metal now the box is also part of the neutral. If I am using 12-3 what should I do with the bare ground leave it unconnected or tie it to the box. I would think leave it unconnected otherwise I just tied the neutral to the ground. But is there sufficent electrical shock protection? I know newer dyers have 4 prong outlets how does this work and why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the 240 volt device does not have any current normally flowing in what you refer to as a neutral then it really isn't a neutral. It is a ground. Connect it to the chassis of your 240 volt device and connect the other end to the ground bar in your service panel. NOT the neutral bus bar. The code no longer allows you to share a gound and neutral on 240 volt appliances such as a clothes dryer where there will be current normally carried in the neutral wire. In the case of the clothes dryer the motor runs on 120 volts so there is current in the neutral wire.

As someone who is familiar with the NEC (National Electrical Code), I would recommend consulting a licensed electrician for assistance with your household electrical distribution box. The NEC sets standards and guidelines for electrical installations to ensure safety and proper functioning, and it is important to follow these guidelines to avoid potential hazards.

In regards to your question about the 240V machinery, the NEC requires that all receptacles for 240V equipment have a separate ground wire, which is connected to the ground bar in the breaker box. This is to provide a separate path for any stray currents and to prevent the metal parts of the equipment from becoming energized. Therefore, the bare ground wire should not be left unconnected and must be tied to the ground bar in the breaker box.

The reason for the 4-prong outlets on newer dryers is to provide an additional level of safety. The fourth prong is a dedicated ground wire, separate from the neutral wire, which helps to eliminate the risk of shock in case the neutral wire becomes damaged or loose. This is known as a "grounding conductor" and is required by the NEC for all new installations.

I highly recommend seeking professional help for your electrical issue to ensure that it is done correctly and in compliance with the NEC. Safety should always be a top priority when dealing with electrical systems.

Related to Is It Safe to Connect the Bare Ground Wire to the Metal Box for 240V Machinery?

1. What is the NEC?

The NEC, or National Electrical Code, is a set of guidelines and regulations created by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to ensure the safe installation and use of electrical systems in buildings and structures.

2. Who needs to know the NEC?

Anyone who works with or is responsible for electrical systems in buildings, including electricians, engineers, building inspectors, and facility managers, should be familiar with the NEC.

3. Why is it important to follow the NEC?

The NEC is designed to protect people and property from electrical hazards. Following the code ensures that electrical systems are installed and used safely, reducing the risk of electrical fires, shocks, and other accidents.

4. How often is the NEC updated?

The NEC is updated every three years to keep up with advancements in technology and address new safety concerns. The most recent edition was released in 2020, and the next update will be in 2023.

5. Can I access the NEC online?

Yes, the NFPA offers an online version of the NEC for purchase, as well as free access to previous editions. However, it is important to note that local jurisdictions may have adopted specific versions of the code, so it is essential to check with your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) for the applicable code requirements.