Is it safe to be exposed to SHF or EHF for a very long time?

• Thread starter Miss Amy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, it is unclear if RF transmitters in ear devices are safe to use for a long period of time, as the devices themselves may not be harmful, but the radiation they emit may be. SHF and EHF frequencies are commonly used in civilian areas, and do not appear to cause any major health concerns.
Miss Amy
Is it safe to be exposed to SHF or EHF for a very long time? Like, hypothetically, there was an ear device in my ear that operated in the SHF or EHF frequency band. Would it be safe for me to use it for a long time especially since they're microwave bands(?). Are microwave bands bad for you? I read that they're within 30MHz to 300GHz, which includes VHF and UHF as well. It shouldn't be too bad, could it?

Also, between the two bands, how often is SHF and EHF used in a civilian area (including suburban, city, and airport)?

Can they also pass through some flesh and bone without disappearing completely?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Miss Amy said:
Like, hypothetically, there was an ear device in my ear that operated in the SHF or EHF frequency band.
Why would you have an RF transmitter in your ear?

berkeman said:
Ha Ha. You couldn't hear yourself think!
I thought all the hoo haah about personal radio sources was put to bed some while ago. A 100mW transmitter couldn't work continuously for long in a hand held device. One hour's exposure to the heating effect would give just 0.367kJ. Putting a wooden pad over your cheek would cause a bigger temperature rise than from the phone.
I suspect that much of the 'injury' that people complain about is due to physics rubbing against the skin.

I thought the issue with radiation was more to do with the frequency that the little photons wiggle with when they hit something, if they are wiggling fast enough then they tend to knock the wee electrons off of their mommy atoms and then bad things happen? I don't think you want too many of those nasty photons. Basically once you go above the higher end of the UV spectrum is where those problems start, microwave off course doesn't even make it into the visible spectrum.

Or, you get hit with lots and lots of lower wiggle rate photons, that can also cause problems, but those are problems that generally come with being "cooked" regardless of the heat source, and you need a lot of power for that because water takes many joules to change temperature.

berkeman said:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/plantronics-m95-bluetooth-headset-black/5709005.p?skuId=5709005&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=448&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1255843&ds_rl=1260579&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwc7jBRD8ARIsAKSUBHKRqjVvUOm1QMfRA6Y-j8HVMl5dnV0SFOEhnZ1X0hWJ1Nwp_vQbbH8aAkDVEALw_wcB

...or is that an "in" vs "on" objection?

Likes berkeman
essenmein said:
frequency that the little photons wiggle with when
photons don't wriggle

davenn said:
photons don't wriggle
I mean how can they, they have no time.

Miss Amy said:
Is it safe to be exposed to SHF or EHF for a very long time?
depends on the power level and your definition of "a long time"
and since you have told us nothing about this RF source, its pretty difficult for anyone to give you a decent answer

Last edited:
essenmein said:
I mean how can they, they have no time.
Sorry, but that response, as with your previous post doesn't make much sense

davenn said:
Sorry, but that response, as with your previous post doesn't make much sense

Photons travel at the speed of light, therefore experience zero time over their journey, however long or far it is from our perspective.

Then the issue with electromagnetic radiation causing problems in humans is generally due to the secondary ionizing aspect, which only happens at a sufficiently high energy level, or wavelength, or frequency (wiggle rate), you don't need many of these high energy photons to start causing problems, or its direct heating where you need a lot of power (lots of photons).

Likes russ_watters
essenmein said:
Photons travel at the speed of light, therefore experience zero time over their journey, however long or far it is from our perspective.

that's basically true, but don't forget, photons are not little bullets zipping along at high speed, they are quantum packets of energy

But it is not relevant to the topic of the thread :wink:

essenmein said:
Then the issue with electromagnetic radiation causing problems in humans is generally due to the secondary ionizing aspect, which only happens at a sufficiently high energy level, or wavelength,

this is true but again, not relevant to the topic that stated SHF to EHF :smile:
essenmein said:
(wiggle rate),

PLEASE stop using that termDave

davenn said:
this is true but again, not relevant to the topic that stated SHF to EHF :smile:

I thought the question was re human harm due to long term exposure to SHF or EHF, my point was meant to be, neither are short enough wavelength (or enough energy, I shan't mention their wiggle) to fall into the ionizing radiation category, therefore my understanding is that any harm can only come from direct heating, which requires power.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
essenmein said:
therefore my understanding is that any harm can only come from direct heating, which requires power.

correct, which is why I stated that to the OP in a previous post :smile:

Miss Amy said:
Is it safe to be exposed to SHF or EHF for a very long time? Like, hypothetically, there was an ear device in my ear that operated in the SHF or EHF frequency band. Would it be safe for me to use it for a long time especially since they're microwave bands(?). Are microwave bands bad for you? I read that they're within 30MHz to 300GHz, which includes VHF and UHF as well. It shouldn't be too bad, could it?

The consensus of the professional scientific and medical communities is that low intensity radio/microwave radiation poses no known danger to human health. As far as I'm aware, the rates of cancer and other diseases that could be linked to non-ionizing radiation have not increased significantly even though the use of transmitters (cells phones, wifi, cell towers, etc) has increased a thousand-fold or more in the last few decades.

That's about as close to a "no, there's no danger" as you can get in medicine.

Miss Amy said:
Can they also pass through some flesh and bone without disappearing completely?

Yes they can.

Likes davenn, anorlunda, Miss Amy and 1 other person

Related to Is it safe to be exposed to SHF or EHF for a very long time?

1. Is long-term exposure to SHF or EHF harmful to human health?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that long-term exposure to SHF or EHF radiation is harmful to human health. However, more research is needed in this area to fully understand the potential risks.

2. What are the potential health effects of long-term exposure to SHF or EHF radiation?

Some studies have suggested that long-term exposure to SHF or EHF radiation may lead to an increased risk of cancer, changes in blood pressure, and neurological effects. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.

3. How can I protect myself from SHF or EHF radiation?

To minimize your exposure to SHF or EHF radiation, you can limit your use of devices that emit these frequencies, such as cell phones and Wi-Fi routers. You can also use protective cases or shields for your devices, and keep them at a safe distance from your body.

4. Are there any regulations in place to limit exposure to SHF or EHF radiation?

Yes, there are regulations in place to limit exposure to SHF or EHF radiation. In most countries, there are specific guidelines for the safe levels of exposure to these frequencies, and devices must meet these guidelines before being approved for use by the public.

5. Can children safely be exposed to SHF or EHF radiation?

Children may be more vulnerable to the potential effects of SHF or EHF radiation due to their smaller body size and developing immune systems. It is recommended to limit children's exposure to these frequencies and to monitor their use of devices that emit them.