Is it Reasonable to Measure Fluorescence with Single Molecule in 1 Second?

In summary, the conversation is about using single-molecule methods to achieve high resolution in microscopy. The speaker is trying to measure 10000 photons from a single molecule in 20 seconds, but the molecule can only emit for 1 second before it is destroyed. They are wondering if they can divide the time it takes for 1 molecule to emit the desired amount of photons by the number of molecules in order to collect the same amount of photons in a shorter amount of time. They are unsure if this method takes into account statistical factors.
The Alchemist
Hi,

I'm doing some calculations on fluorescence and I'm a little stuck on statistics.
Let's say I need to measure 20 seconds to collect 10000 photons from a single molecule.
Then I can say well I want to measure at most 1 second and therefore I need 20 molecules in order to collect 10000 photons in that second.

Is this way of thinking reasonable? Or do I need to take into account some statistics with S/N ratio and say: Poisson distribution.

I can't find any sources to found this reasoning.

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. Let me make myself more clear.
I know it's about high resolution that's the reason I use these.
The problem is, the molecule can only emit for about 1 second and then it is destroyed.
So I take more molecules, which results indeed in less spatial resolution, to collect the needed amount of photons in the range of the 'lifetime' of the molecules (1second).
But what I was wondering, can I divide the time (t) it takes for 1 molecule to emit 'theoretically' the amount of photons by x molecules and say these molecules will emit the same amount of photons in t/x seconds.
Or do I need to take some statistics into account before I can simply state this?

Related to Is it Reasonable to Measure Fluorescence with Single Molecule in 1 Second?

1. What is single molecule fluorescence?

Single molecule fluorescence is a technique used in scientific research to study individual molecules and their behavior. It involves the detection and measurement of fluorescence emitted from a single molecule, which can provide valuable information about its structure, dynamics, and interactions.

2. How does single molecule fluorescence work?

Single molecule fluorescence works by exciting a single molecule with a specific wavelength of light and then detecting the fluorescence emission from that molecule. The emitted light is then measured and analyzed to gather information about the molecule's properties and behavior.

3. What are the advantages of using single molecule fluorescence?

Single molecule fluorescence offers several advantages, including the ability to study individual molecules without the interference of other molecules, high sensitivity and resolution, and the ability to track molecular dynamics in real-time. It also allows for the study of rare or unstable molecules that may not be possible with traditional bulk techniques.

4. What types of molecules can be studied using single molecule fluorescence?

Single molecule fluorescence can be used to study a wide range of molecules, including proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and small molecules. It is particularly useful for studying biomolecules that are involved in cellular processes, such as enzyme activity and protein-protein interactions.

5. What are some applications of single molecule fluorescence?

Single molecule fluorescence has many applications in various fields, including biochemistry, biophysics, and molecular biology. It is used to study molecular interactions, protein folding, enzymatic activity, and the dynamics of cellular processes. It also has applications in drug discovery and development, as well as in nanotechnology and materials science.