Is it practical to make an electromagnet that causes a 200N force?

In summary, the goal of the project is to create an electromagnet that will attract a loose piece of iron with at least 200N of force. The electromagnet will work best if the magnetic circuit is good. Variations in the current through the solenoid could allow for accurate force control.
TimT
I'm trying to construct an electromagnet that, when a loose piece of iron is inside the solenoid, will create a field that will attract that piece of iron with at least 200N of force. My thought is that I can fill half of the solenoid with an iron core, leaving space in the other half for the loose piece of iron. I've tried to draw a picture of what I'm thinking below.

http://tinypic.com/r/2jdjak9/6
http://tinypic.com/r/2jdjak9/6

Can anyone tell me if this is something practical that I can make?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dc solenoid actuators probably generate over 200N (~20 pounds) force, when pulling in the iron plunger. The highest force is probably in solenoid actuators with T-shaped plungers. As the gap in the iron gets smaller, the force gets larger, and when the gap is ~1 mm or less, the force is very high. There is a wide variety of commercial solenoid actuators available.

Having a good magnetic circuit is very important. Most of the magnetic energy in the magnetic circuit is actually in the air gap. If W is the stored energy in the gap, then the force in direction x is the partial derivative

Fx = ∂W/∂x, so the force is very high when the magnetic gap is small.

Bob S

I am not so sure about your design especially I wonder if the metal on the bottom will cause enough of a field gradient.

A question you need to answer is, how far your piston has to travel. Making something stick with 200N force is much easier than pulling is over some distance.

200N is very much achievable. I would build a smaller model measure the force, and then use theory to scale it up.

Thanks so much for the replies. My goal is have the force on the plunger be relatively constant over the distance it travels. Or, to phrase it another way, a person pulling on the plunger would have to exert a constant force of 200N to bring the plunger out from a fully depressed position (except perhaps with a barrier to prevent the plunger from actually touching the iron core.) Do you think this would be approximately the case if I use a solenoid actuator of about an inch long?

Also, could I vary the force required to pull the plunger with reasonable accuracy by varying the current through the solenoid?

Related to Is it practical to make an electromagnet that causes a 200N force?

1. Can an electromagnet really produce a force of 200N?

Yes, an electromagnet can produce a force of 200N if the necessary conditions are met. The strength of an electromagnet depends on factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the coil, and the type of core material used.

2. What materials are needed to make an electromagnet with a 200N force?

The materials needed to make an electromagnet with a 200N force include a power source (such as a battery), a conducting wire, a core material (such as iron or steel), and a switch to control the flow of current. The specific materials and their dimensions will vary depending on the desired force and the design of the electromagnet.

3. How is the force of an electromagnet calculated?

The force of an electromagnet can be calculated using the equation F = (N x I)^2 x μ0 x A / (2 x g^2), where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current passing through the coil, μ0 is the permeability of free space, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and g is the length of the core. By manipulating these variables, the force of an electromagnet can be adjusted to achieve a 200N force.

4. Is it practical to use an electromagnet with a 200N force in everyday applications?

It depends on the specific application. While a 200N force may seem relatively small compared to other forces, it can still be useful in certain situations. For example, it can be used in small motors, magnetic levitation systems, or to lift small objects. However, for larger scale applications, a more powerful electromagnet may be required.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with an electromagnet that produces a 200N force?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with electromagnets of any strength. The high current flowing through the wire can generate heat and cause burns, and the strong magnetic field can interfere with electronic devices and cause damage. It is important to take proper precautions and follow safety guidelines when working with electromagnets.