Is it possible to work with pharmaceuticals as a chemical engineer?

In summary, the individual is a high school senior with an interest in working with pharmaceuticals and designing drugs and drug delivery systems. They are considering majoring in chemical engineering as it offers good job prospects and the potential to pursue a post-graduate degree. They have two questions about the role of chemical engineers in the pharmaceutical industry and how to complement their degree to fit their aspirations. It is confirmed that chemical engineers do work closely with pharmaceuticals and that pursuing a minor or specialization in biochemistry may be beneficial for their career goals.
ooze
I am a high school senior, probably attending University of South Florida next year. Chemistry is my favorite subject and I am interested in working with pharmaceuticals, designing drugs and drug delivery systems, etc.
I don't think I would like to do pre-pharm and go to pharmacy school, as I feel like I would end up just working a depressing job at CVS (I also heard there will be a surplus of pharmacists soon, this might be incorrect.) Since I heard chemical engineers often work with pharmaceuticals, I became interested in chemical engineering. It would provide good job prospects and I could go for a post-grad afterwards. That being said, I have two questions:
1-Do chemical engineers really work up close with pharmaceuticals, designing drugs and drug delivery systems, etc? Is this the best choice of major for that objective?
2-How could I best complement a chemical engineering degree to fit these aspirations? (for example extra bio classes, minor in biochemistry...)
Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. A friend of mine from college is an engineer at Johnson and Johnson working in a pharmaceuticals plant. She works more in the design and construction of process equipment, rather than in the design of the drugs.

Biochemistry or even bioengineering might be a good way into this field.

Yes. My uncle does this.

Yes. If your school has some form of bio specialization, it would be good to do that, but I know plenty of chemE's who are going to work for pharma. They'll work with more the production of drugs in a large-scale manufacturing setting. If you want to design/create them, a phd in biochemistry or something similar may be the better way to go.

As a chemical engineer with experience in the pharmaceutical industry, I can say that it is definitely possible to work with pharmaceuticals in this field. In fact, pharmaceuticals are one of the major industries where chemical engineers are in high demand.

Chemical engineers play a crucial role in the development and manufacturing of pharmaceuticals. They are involved in designing and optimizing processes for drug production, as well as developing drug delivery systems to improve the effectiveness and safety of medications. They also work on quality control and ensuring that pharmaceuticals are produced in compliance with regulatory standards.

In terms of your second question, there are several ways you can complement your chemical engineering degree to fit your aspirations in the pharmaceutical industry. Taking additional biology courses or a minor in biochemistry can definitely be beneficial, as it will give you a better understanding of the biological aspects of drug development. You may also consider taking courses in pharmaceutical engineering, which specifically focuses on the design and production of pharmaceuticals. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in the pharmaceutical industry can also be valuable.

Overall, chemical engineering is a great choice of major for those interested in working with pharmaceuticals. It offers a wide range of job opportunities in the pharmaceutical industry, and with a post-graduate degree, you can even pursue more specialized roles such as drug development or process optimization. I wish you all the best in your academic and professional journey!

Related to Is it possible to work with pharmaceuticals as a chemical engineer?

1. Can chemical engineers work in the pharmaceutical industry?

Yes, chemical engineers can work in the pharmaceutical industry in various roles such as process development, production, quality control, and research and development.

2. What skills do chemical engineers need to work in the pharmaceutical industry?

Chemical engineers working in the pharmaceutical industry need a strong background in chemistry, biology, and engineering principles. They also need skills in process design, data analysis, and problem-solving.

3. Is there a demand for chemical engineers in the pharmaceutical industry?

Yes, there is a high demand for chemical engineers in the pharmaceutical industry due to the increasing complexity and volume of drug development and production processes.

4. What type of projects do chemical engineers work on in the pharmaceutical industry?

Chemical engineers in the pharmaceutical industry work on a variety of projects, including developing new drug synthesis processes, optimizing existing production processes, and implementing quality control measures.

5. Can chemical engineers work in both large and small pharmaceutical companies?

Yes, chemical engineers can work in both large and small pharmaceutical companies. Large companies often have more resources and may offer a wider range of job opportunities, while smaller companies may provide more hands-on experience and opportunities for innovation.