Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Is it Possible to show this? Beta function

chamilka

Jul 3, 2012
Hi everyone!
I got two versions of one particular function and now I need to show those two versions are equivalent.
For that I need to show the follwing,

beta 2.jpg

Is it possible to show this by using the properties of Beta functions, Gaussian hypergeometric function etc?

Thanks in advance!!

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone!
I got two versions of one particular function and now I need to show those two versions are equivalent.
For that I need to show the follwing,

View attachment 223

Is it possible to show this by using the properties of Beta functions, Gaussian hypergeometric function etc?

Thanks in advance!!
Hi chamilka, :)

I got the intuition of solving this problem from your previous problem. Consider the integral, \(\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+\alpha-1}(1-x)^{(n+\beta-y)-1}\,dx\).

\begin{eqnarray}

\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+\alpha-1}(1-x)^{(n+\beta-y)-1}\,dx&=&\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+\alpha-1}(1-x)^{n-y}(1-x)^{\beta-1}\,dx\\

&=&\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+\alpha-1}(1-x)^{n-y}\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \; {\beta-1\choose i}\;(-x)^{i}\,dx

\end{eqnarray}

Proceed with the same method I have gone through in that post, and you will finally get,

\[\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+\alpha-1}(1-x)^{(n+\beta-y)-1}\,dx=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{\beta-1\choose i}B(y+\alpha+i,\,n-y+1)~~~~~~~~~~~(1)\]

provided, \(Re(y+\alpha+i)>0\mbox{ and }Re(n-y+1)>0\).

Also by the definition of the Beta function, if \(Re(y+\alpha)>0\mbox{ and }Re(n+\beta-y)>0\) we have,

\[\int_{0}^{1}x^{y+\alpha-1}(1-x)^{(n+\beta-y)-1}\,dx=B(y+\alpha,\,n+\beta-y)~~~~~~~(2)\]

From (1) and (2) we get,

\[B(y+\alpha,\,n+\beta-y)=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{i}{\beta-1\choose i}B(y+\alpha+i,\,n-y+1)\]

provided, \(Re(y+\alpha)>0,\,Re(n-y+1)>0\mbox{ and }Re(n+\beta-y)>0\)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi chamilka! Welcome to MHB! :)

I think you should be able to send PM's now so I've removed your replies to Sudharaka from public view. I can copy the posts to you through PM if you would like. The minimum post counts can be annoying I know, but they stop others from doing a lot of things that waste MHB's time so they are there for a reason. You should be able to use most of the functionality of the site already and if not only need a couple more posts. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Jameson

chamilka

Jul 3, 2012
Thank you Jameson for your kind support. I am very lucky to be a mart of Math Help boards.