Is it possible to run Window$ 3.1 on STM32?

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of running Windows on a Cortex processor, which is based on the ARM architecture. It was mentioned that Windows 3 only has ports for x86 and Alpha processors, but Windows CE has versions for x86, MIPS, and ARM. The speaker also mentioned that the best option for ARM is Linux, not Windows CE. They also discussed the potential for writing interfaces to run Windows 3 on Cortex, as seen in a video running Windows 3 on an Android device.
Alex_Sanders
I know x86 and Cortex are completely different but... is there any possibility for this to happen? May be a little code work to provide emulated interfaces?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well if 80386 can run Windows and Microsoft Word at snail speed, I don't know why Cortex won't run windows? However you have to work a lot figuring out machine codes and suitable compilers and stuffs.

Alex_Sanders said:
I know x86 and Cortex are completely different but... is there any possibility for this to happen? May be a little code work to provide emulated interfaces?
Window 3 (desktop & server versions) only had ports for x86 and Alpha processor (now discontinued). Note that Windows requires not only the 386 processor, but also the PC hardware architecture. The only way to run Windows 3 on a different processor is to run a full-system simulator, which is pretty expensive and very slow.

Having said that, Windows CE has versions for x86, MIPS and ARM, and Microsoft announced Windows 8 for ARM (desktop version, not CE).

So, there you have it: either find a Windows CE port for Cortex (which is based on the ARM A8), or wait until Windows 8. But, either way, keep in mind that the ARM ports most probably depend on underlying hardware - I never worked with that, but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

ps: By the way, the best thing for ARM is Linux, not Windows CE. Angstrom is very popular distro for ARM.

fbs7 said:
Window 3 (desktop & server versions) only had ports for x86 and Alpha processor (now discontinued). Note that Windows requires not only the 386 processor, but also the PC hardware architecture. The only way to run Windows 3 on a different processor is to run a full-system simulator, which is pretty expensive and very slow.

Having said that, Windows CE has versions for x86, MIPS and ARM, and Microsoft announced Windows 8 for ARM (desktop version, not CE).

So, there you have it: either find a Windows CE port for Cortex (which is based on the ARM A8), or wait until Windows 8. But, either way, keep in mind that the ARM ports most probably depend on underlying hardware - I never worked with that, but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

ps: By the way, the best thing for ARM is Linux, not Windows CE. Angstrom is very popular distro for ARM.

Your totally right fbs7, the only way that might get that down would be writing interfaces to adopt windows 3 in the first place. I saw some u2b vid that win3.x can be run on android devices, so I thought about why not strip down the android in the first place with a "better" version of MCU...

Thanks for the info.

Related to Is it possible to run Window$ 3.1 on STM32?

1. Can Window$ 3.1 be run on STM32 microcontrollers?

Yes, it is possible to run Window$ 3.1 on STM32 microcontrollers. However, it requires a significant amount of effort and technical knowledge to do so.

2. What are the system requirements for running Window$ 3.1 on STM32?

The system requirements for running Window$ 3.1 on STM32 include a minimum of 512KB of RAM and a processor speed of at least 20MHz. It is also necessary to have a compatible display and input devices.

3. Can I use existing software and drivers with Window$ 3.1 on STM32?

No, you will need to develop or modify software and drivers specifically for the STM32 microcontroller in order to run Window$ 3.1. The operating system and hardware are not compatible with existing software and drivers.

4. Are there any limitations to running Window$ 3.1 on STM32?

Yes, there are several limitations to consider when running Window$ 3.1 on STM32. These include limited memory and processing power, compatibility issues with modern hardware and software, and potential stability issues.

5. What are the benefits of running Window$ 3.1 on STM32?

The main benefit of running Window$ 3.1 on STM32 is the ability to utilize legacy hardware and software that may still be necessary for certain applications. It also offers a unique and challenging project for those interested in embedded systems and retro computing.