Is it possible to know if a vehicle is braking?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to identify if a car is braking by accessing its wheels. Suggestions include using a dynamometer or accelerometer to measure wheel speed, monitoring the temperature of the brake disk, measuring hydraulic pressure in the brake line, and using an inductive sensor to sense wheel rotation. The concept of anti-dive braking is also mentioned as a way to detect braking through forces on the upper control arm.
physea
Hello!
How can we identify that a car is braking, just by accessing its wheels?
I think dynos work like that? Ie they can tell if the torque is negative or positive by touching the spinning wheel?
Any hint?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I am interpreting your question correctly, you're asking if a device (e.g. a dynamo) can detect if the car is slowing down.

In fact, a dynamo is a great way of detecting a decrease in the speed of the wheels - a decrease in rpm (due to braking) will result in a lower rate of magnetic flux cutting, resulting in a lower power output of the dynamo. If we track the direction of current, we can then classify it as either increasing or decreasing in speed, based on a tested convention. Hope this answers your question :)

Any measure of the wheel RPM will do.

Likes berkeman
Alloymouse said:
If I am interpreting your question correctly, you're asking if a device (e.g. a dynamo) can detect if the car is slowing down.
I don't think he meant dynamo -- the term dyno is short for dynamometer, which is a device used to measure engine power at the wheels of a vehicle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

:smile:

physea said:
I think dynos work like that? Ie they can tell if the torque is negative or positive by touching the spinning wheel?
See the link in my post above. Dynamometers work by applying a retarding torque, and measuring the angular acceleration of the wheels in contact with the dyno drum. There is a neat, inexpensive version of a dyno that works using just an accelerometer in the car. The car's weight and other factors are input to the device, and the output is the power of the vehicle's engine under acceleration.

https://www.gtechpro.com/

SS%20plus%20box%204-500x500.jpg

Attachments

• SS%20plus%20box%204-500x500.jpg
    SS%20plus%20box%204-500x500.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 606
On a level road, yes. On a downhill, you could have the brakes on and still speed up. Conversely, you could be stepping on gas while slowing down on an uphill grade.

You could monitor the temperature of the brake disk/drum. If braking, it's getting warmer. And here is a way to do just that: https://www.omega.com/pptst/OS212.html

berkeman said:
I don't think he meant dynamo -- the term dyno is short for dynomometer, which is a device used to measure engine power at the wheels of a vehicle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

:smile:

I see, thanks for the heads-up!

physea said:
How can we identify that a car is braking, just by accessing its wheels?
You can identify braking by measuring the hydraulic pressure in the brake line. Or sensing if the brake light is on.
ABS usually senses rotation rate of the wheel with an inductive sensor and a toothed disk on the hub.
Going progressively faster while braking is possible, if you are going downhill or if accelerating at the same time.
So, what exactly do you mean by braking?

physea said:
Any hint?
I really like the suggestion of brake fluid pressure. My 1953 Ford used a pressure switch to control brake lights.

Study up on anti-dive braking. Should be detectable from forces on upper control arm.

Related to Is it possible to know if a vehicle is braking?

1. Can we measure the deceleration of a vehicle to determine if it is braking?

Yes, it is possible to measure the deceleration of a vehicle to determine if it is braking. This can be done using various sensors such as accelerometers or wheel speed sensors.

2. How accurate is the measurement of deceleration in determining if a vehicle is braking?

The accuracy of the measurement depends on the type and quality of the sensors used, as well as the calibration and positioning of these sensors on the vehicle. In general, the measurement can be quite accurate if the sensors are properly installed and maintained.

3. Is it possible to differentiate between gradual deceleration and rapid deceleration (braking) using deceleration measurements?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate between gradual deceleration and rapid deceleration using deceleration measurements. This can be achieved by analyzing the rate of change of deceleration over time.

4. Can other factors, such as road conditions, affect the accuracy of deceleration measurements in determining if a vehicle is braking?

Yes, other factors such as road conditions, tire grip, and vehicle weight distribution can affect the accuracy of deceleration measurements in determining if a vehicle is braking. These factors should be taken into consideration when analyzing the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using deceleration measurements to determine if a vehicle is braking?

While deceleration measurements can provide valuable information, they should be used in conjunction with other methods such as visual observation and driver input. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to consider all factors and use a comprehensive approach when determining if a vehicle is braking.