Is it possible to have tidal currents in the Earth's molten mantle?

In summary: Since the tidal potential deforms the entire earth. It seems to me qualitatively that more of tidal potential would be dissipated in the solid Earth than in the ocean. However, the main stream believesMost of the tidal energy dissipation is believed to occur in the oceans. It is still not entirely clear whether most of the dissipation occurs in shallow seas or in deep oceans.
Gannet
Since the tectonic plates ride on the convection currents in the molten mantle, I was wondering if tidal effects could create currents in the molten mantle.

The reason I am asking I found this http://bowie.gsfc.nasa.gov/ggfc/tides/intro.html"
where it states:
The tidal braking in the Earth's rotation is actually caused primarily by friction in the oceans, where "friction" may refer to any number of physical mechanisms which have yet to be determined definitively. For example, bottom friction, induced by tidal currents flowing across the seabed, various kinds of wave breaking, and scattering of tidal waves into oceanic internal waves are all thought to play a role. For a recent overview of this subject, look up Walter Munk's paper "Once again: once again--tidal friction," published in Progress in Oceanography, vol. 40, pp. 7-36, 1997.

This made me wonder if there tidal currents in the molten mantle that the tidal friction with tectonic plates would be significantly greater than the tidal friction created by the oceans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The scientists at NASA are very qualified people and I am certain that they considered all possible sources of tidal friction. Therefore, since they said "tidal braking in the Earth's rotation is actually caused primarily by friction in the oceans" that this must be the case otherwise how embarrassing would it be if someone on some forum discovered something that they missed.

Dr_Morbius said:
The scientists at NASA are very qualified people and I am certain that they considered all possible sources of tidal friction...

Thanks for replying. I would hope your statement is true and not just "...the light is better here."

Since the tidal potential deforms the entire earth. It seems to me qualitatively that more of tidal potential would be dissipated in the solid Earth than in the ocean. However, the main stream believes

Most of the tidal energy dissipation is believed to occur in the oceans. It is still not entirely clear whether most of the dissipation occurs in shallow seas or in deep oceans.
from http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/~wu/Goph681/EarthRotation.pdf"

Gannet said:
Since the tectonic plates ride on the convection currents in the molten mantle, I was wondering if tidal effects could create currents in the molten mantle.

The reason I am asking I found this http://bowie.gsfc.nasa.gov/ggfc/tides/intro.html"
where it states:

This made me wonder if there tidal currents in the molten mantle that the tidal friction with tectonic plates would be significantly greater than the tidal friction created by the oceans.

This is not something I claim to know very much about.

With that caveat, it seems to me that the viscosity of the mantle is too high to permit dissipation by currents. However, I believe that some tidal energy is dissipated by heating the mantle.

Gannet said:
First things first: What molten mantle? The Earth's mantle is a solid (it supports shear waves) that is capable of plastic flow over geological time spans.

where it states:
The tidal braking in the Earth's rotation is actually caused primarily by friction in the oceans
You missed the key word "primarily". They did not say "exclusively".

The key problem in your reasoning is your use of the term "molten mantle". Over very long time spans (geological time) the mantle appears to be plastic. Over very short time spans such as those resulting from tidal interactions, the mantle is better modeled as an elasto-rigid body with a small degree of anelasticity.

Just as the oceans are subject to tides from the Moon and the Sun (and to a lesser extent the other planets), so is the Earth itself. The same tidal forces that result in the ocean tides also affect the Earth as a whole. Google the terms "Earth tides" and "solid body tides" for more. The Earth tides are for the most part loss-free because the Earth as a whole is mostly elastic on the time scales of the tides (hours to decades). The small amount of anelasticity in the mantle will lead to some losses, but these are small compared to those resulting from the ocean tides.

Thank you Billiards & D H for your comments

From Billiards
...it seems to me that the viscosity of the mantle is too high to permit dissipation by currents. However, I believe that some tidal energy is dissipated by heating the mantle.

The post-glacial bounce in 11,000 years indicates to me though highly viscous that flow does exist. Also, tidal heating to me indicate friction which indicate that there is an opposing force to movement. Maybe the solid Earth tidal bulging is inducing that movement.

From D H
You missed the key word "primarily". They did not say "exclusively".
I know it is not exclusively, I was challengining the word "primarily" which in my terminology means the #1 contributor. I have not found any paper yet that substantiate that claim.

Last edited:

Related to Is it possible to have tidal currents in the Earth's molten mantle?

1. Can tidal currents occur in the Earth's molten mantle?

Yes, it is possible for tidal currents to occur in the Earth's molten mantle. Tidal forces from the Moon and Sun can cause movement in the molten material, creating currents.

2. How do tidal currents in the Earth's mantle affect plate tectonics?

Tidal currents in the Earth's mantle can affect plate tectonics by influencing the movement and behavior of the plates. The currents can create additional forces that push or pull on the plates, leading to changes in their movement and potentially causing earthquakes or volcanic activity.

3. Are tidal currents in the Earth's mantle constant or do they change over time?

Tidal currents in the Earth's mantle are not constant and can vary over time. The strength of tidal forces from the Moon and Sun can change due to the Earth's rotation and orbit, causing fluctuations in the intensity of the currents.

4. How do scientists study or observe tidal currents in the Earth's mantle?

Scientists study tidal currents in the Earth's mantle through a combination of techniques such as numerical simulations, geophysical observations, and laboratory experiments. These methods allow them to estimate the magnitude and direction of the currents and how they may affect the Earth's structure and processes.

5. Do tidal currents in the Earth's mantle have any impact on the Earth's magnetic field?

While tidal currents in the Earth's mantle can create movement and turbulence in the molten material, they do not have a significant impact on the Earth's magnetic field. The magnetic field is primarily generated by the movement of the Earth's solid iron core, rather than the molten mantle.