Is it possible to have structures older than 500,000 years old

In summary, the conversation discusses the oldest structures on Earth, with the oldest being the Gobekli Tepe in Turkey, dating back to more than 12,000 years ago. The conversation also mentions other ancient sites such as Çatalhöyük and Sterkfontein. The possibility of finding even older structures, such as those from the Paleolithic era, is also discussed. However, due to the effects of time and nature, it is unlikely that any wooden structures from that time period would have survived. Stone structures, such as those made of granite, could potentially last for hundreds of thousands of years. The conversation also mentions the mythological city of R'lyeh and the history of ancient Scotland, which has evidence of
Apple_Mango
It appears the oldest structures don't go father than 4500 BC. I was wondering if it's possible that were are structures that go beyond 4500 BC that we just haven't discovered yet? I doubt that there are buildings that can last for 500,000 years before falling down. However, is it possible that archaeologist can find materials from collapse buildings?

Science news on Phys.org
Gobekli Tepe in Turkey is more than 12,000 years old.

The world’s oldest monuments may soon get an image makeover. A new project will promote and preserve http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/mann-text, home to the most ancient temple structures ever discovered.

Turkey hopes to eventually boost tourism at the site, which is in a region where tourism has declined because of the nearby Syrian conflict and refugee crisis.

Since excavations began in 1995, the site in southeastern Turkey has changed the way archaeologists think about the origins of civilization. Its circular structures, with their elaborately carved stones and distinctive, T-shaped pillars, are more than 12,000 years old—older than the invention of agriculture or even pottery.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/01/150120-gobekli-tepe-oldest-monument-turkey-archaeology/

Likes Asymptotic
Another old civilization.

Çatalhöyük (Turkish pronunciation: [tʃaˈtaɫhøjyk]; also Çatal Höyük and Çatal Hüyük; from Turkish çatal "fork" + höyük "mound") was a very large Neolithic and Chalcolithicproto-city settlement in southern Anatolia, which existed from approximately 7500 BC to 5700 BC, and flourished around 7000 BC.[1] In July 2012, it was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Çatalhöyük

Likes Asymptotic
Oh, I entered in google and it appears the oldest buildings were 4500 thousand years old. I missed those articles.

Apple_Mango said:
Oh, I entered in google and it appears the oldest buildings were 4500 thousand years old. I missed those articles.
That's why we're here. :smile:

Likes ISamson
Apple_Mango said:
it appears the oldest buildings were 4500 thousand years old.

I doubt very much it is 4500 thousand, i.e. 4.5 million. Human ancestors hadn't begun to walk upright yet.

Likes Evo
Apple_Mango said:
It appears the oldest structures don't go father than 4500 BC. I was wondering if it's possible that were are structures that go beyond 4500 BC that we just haven't discovered yet? I doubt that there are buildings that can last for 500,000 years before falling down. However, is it possible that archaeologist can find materials from collapse buildings?
We find residences nearly that old, Sterkfontein comes to mind immediately. But the technology didn't exist to building structures more complicated than wickiups until we got together to make civilizations.

The lunatic fringe will claim otherwise, of course.

Noisy Rhysling said:
... The lunatic fringe will claim otherwise, of course.

You mean, like this?

H. P. Lovecraft said:
The nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh…was built in measureless eons behind history by the vast, loathsome shapes that seeped down from the dark stars. There lay great Cthulhu and his hordes, hidden in green slimy vaults...

gmax137 said:
You mean, like this?
There's retro silent movie out now, "The Call of Cthulhu", available on Amazon.

Apple_Mango said:
However, is it possible that archaeologist can find materials from collapse buildings?
They do it all the time. They can dig at the sites of old cities that were built on the ruins of earlier cities. Sometimes at some of the digs in the middle east, archeologists find the remains of four or more sites that were sacked at various times over the past several thousand years.

Apple_Mango said:
In addition to the example given, there are paleolithic ruins in Scotland.
Early Human Habitation
The history of ancient Scotland is told through the standing stones, ancient settlements, and burial places built by those who lived in the region. No written history of the people who came to be known as the Scots exists prior to the coming of the Romans in 79/80 CE. By that time, the land had been inhabited for thousands of years. In the 1960's CE, the archaeologist John Mercer established that the stone rings found at Lussa Wood and the Mesolithic settlement, An Carn, both on the Isle of Jura in the Inner Hebrides, are the oldest stone structures in Scotland, dating back to 7000 BCE with seasonal settlement of the area going back at least to 10,500 BCE.

Even so, there are ancient sites on the island of Rum, further north, which have been dated to 7700 BCE, and the famous site at Crammond, near Edinburgh, dates to 8400 BCE. There is further evidence of Mesolithic settlements (some seasonal) found on nearby Oronsay, at Kintyre, Luce Bay and further on in Fife, and the Paleolithic site at Howburn Farm in Biggar, though certainly a seasonal camp, dates to 12,000 BCE.
https://www.ancient.eu/scotland/

Much of the northern parts of North America and the Eurasian continent were covered in glaciers, ice and snow, during the ice ages. Wooden structures would have decayed over that period. Many stone structures can be found buried.

If a stone/rock structure was made of granite, it could last many millennia, but that would require the ability to quarry granite, basalt, or similar rock, and possesses stone masonry skills.

One should look into Paleolithic cultures.

Related to Is it possible to have structures older than 500,000 years old

1. Is it possible for structures to exist for more than 500,000 years?

Yes, it is possible for structures to exist for more than 500,000 years. There are many examples of ancient structures that have been found to be older than 500,000 years, such as Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza. These structures were built using durable materials and advanced construction techniques that have allowed them to withstand the test of time.

2. How do scientists determine the age of structures?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of structures, including radiocarbon dating, dendrochronology (tree-ring dating), and thermoluminescence dating. These methods involve analyzing the materials used in the construction of the structure, such as wood or stone, to determine their age and the time period in which they were used.

3. Are there any limitations to accurately dating structures older than 500,000 years?

While scientific methods have advanced significantly in recent years, there are still limitations to accurately dating structures older than 500,000 years. The accuracy of dating methods can be affected by factors such as contamination, preservation of materials, and the availability of suitable samples for testing.

4. What are some challenges scientists face when studying ancient structures?

One of the main challenges scientists face when studying ancient structures is the lack of written records or other historical evidence. This makes it difficult to determine the purpose or meaning behind these structures and their significance to the people who built them. Additionally, the preservation of these structures can be a challenge, as they may have been exposed to natural elements or human activities over time.

5. How do ancient structures provide insight into human history and development?

Ancient structures provide valuable insight into human history and development by revealing information about the culture, technology, and societal structures of past civilizations. By studying these structures, scientists can learn about the beliefs, practices, and daily lives of ancient peoples, and how they shaped the world we live in today.