Is it possible to evenly spaced out objects?

• Thread starter TimeRip496
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is discussing the difficulty of finding an evenly spaced arrangement of objects, using a square grid as an example. They mention the idea of using circles instead, but are unsure how to implement it. The conversation also references the concept of packing problems and suggests looking into triangles as a possible solution. The discussion brings up the topic of closest neighbors and their definition, and notes that even in other lattice arrangements, there will always be next-nearest neighbors at greater distances.
TimeRip496
I can't figure this out. I mean like all the objects(lets take them as a point mass) must be equally spaced from each. The surrounding nearest point masses from each point mass must be equally separated from that point mass. Square grid doesn't work as 4 out of the 8 closest neighbours are separated from the center diagonally, which is longer than the other 4 that are separated horizontally and vertically. I was thinking grid whereby the squares are replaced by circles by I can't seems to figure out. Is there such a thing?

upload_2016-2-13_14-38-38.png

Something like this except the circles are connected and not separated as shown above.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Triangles

Given this and your previous thread you might like to do some background study on packing problems.

MrAnchovy said:
Given this and your previous thread you might like to do some background study on packing problems.
Thanks! I will look into that.

Think of which triangles tessellate the most evenly.

Svein said:
Bees use hexagons...
...with their centers laid out in a pattern of equilateral triangles.

Likes zinq and Nidum
TimeRip496 said:
I can't figure this out. I mean like all the objects(lets take them as a point mass) must be equally spaced from each. The surrounding nearest point masses from each point mass must be equally separated from that point mass. Square grid doesn't work as 4 out of the 8 closest neighbours are separated from the center diagonally, which is longer than the other 4 that are separated horizontally and vertically. I was thinking grid whereby the squares are replaced by circles by I can't seems to figure out. Is there such a thing?

View attachment 95750
Something like this except the circles are connected and not separated as shown above.
You seem to have some unusual definition of closest neighbors. With the usual definition, in the square lattice each point has 4 closest neighbors (or nearest neighbors). The points on the diagonal are next-nearest neighbors.
No matter what the geometry, you will always have next-nearest and next-next-nearest neighbors and so on, which will be at distances larger that the nearest-neighbor distance. Even in triangular or hexagonal lattice.

Related to Is it possible to evenly spaced out objects?

What does it mean for objects to be evenly spaced out?

When objects are evenly spaced out, it means that the distance between each object is the same. This creates a sense of balance and uniformity in the arrangement of objects.

Is it possible to evenly space out any type of object?

Yes, it is possible to evenly space out any type of object as long as you have control over their placement. This can be achieved by using a measuring tool or by eye-balling the distance between objects.

Why is it important to evenly space out objects?

Evenly spacing out objects can create a visually appealing and organized display. It also helps to ensure that each object has enough space and is not overcrowded, which can be distracting or overwhelming.

Are there any techniques for evenly spacing out objects?

One technique for evenly spacing out objects is to use a grid system, where each object is placed at the intersection of evenly spaced horizontal and vertical lines. Other techniques include using rulers, measuring tapes, or spacing templates.

Can objects still be evenly spaced out in a non-linear arrangement?

Yes, objects can still be evenly spaced out in a non-linear arrangement. For example, you can evenly space out objects in a circular or triangular pattern. The key is to maintain a consistent distance between each object.