Is It Possible to Do Photometry Without Using a CCD?

In summary, the conversation is discussing cheaper alternatives to CCDs for conducting differential photometry on stars with a magnitude of 5 and under. Some options mentioned include photomultiplier tubes and photodiodes, but it is noted that their sensitivities may be too low for detecting faint starlight. Another suggestion is to use an area detector, such as a DSLR or point and shoot camera, for easier differential photometry.
mishima
CCDs are very cheap, but I was wondering if there was an even cheaper alternative to CCDs if the goal is differential photometry on magnitude 5 and under stars. The data only needs enough precision to prove/demonstrate the concept, and to develop a good sense of the workflow in doing photometry from observational data. Assume I have a 6" Newtonian.

Photomultiplier tubes such as the 1p21 can be found for less than 40$, but require expensive 1000V power supplies.

I am more curious about single photodiodes, or even more crude ways of collecting starlight such as photoresistors. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with some off the beaten path electronic detectors.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mishima said:
I am more curious about single photodiodes, or even more crude ways of collecting starlight such as photoresistors. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with some off the beaten path electronic detectors.

I would suggest that their sensitivities would be way too low for the faintness of starlight

A photoresistor could not even detect something like Vega? Just curious, not sure how to calculate something like that using a datasheet.

I was thinking photodiodes at least had been in use a few decades ago.

It is much simpler to do differential photometry with an area detector where the target and comparison star can be on the same image. You can use a DSLR or even a point and shoot camea if it can do long exposures.
Regards Andrew

Related to Is It Possible to Do Photometry Without Using a CCD?

1. What is photometry without CCD?

Photometry without CCD refers to the process of measuring the brightness or intensity of light without using a charge-coupled device (CCD) camera. Instead, this method uses a photometer, which is a device that measures the amount of light emitted or reflected by an object.

2. How does photometry without CCD differ from traditional CCD photometry?

In traditional CCD photometry, a CCD camera is used to capture images of an object and then the brightness is measured using software. In photometry without CCD, a photometer is used to directly measure the brightness of the object without the need for imaging.

3. What are the advantages of using photometry without CCD?

One advantage of photometry without CCD is that it can be used for objects that are too faint or too large to be imaged by a CCD camera. It also eliminates the need for image processing and can provide more precise measurements of brightness.

4. Can photometry without CCD be used for all types of light sources?

Yes, photometry without CCD can be used for all types of light sources, including stars, planets, and artificial light sources. However, the specific method and equipment used may vary depending on the type of light source being measured.

5. How accurate is photometry without CCD compared to traditional CCD photometry?

The accuracy of photometry without CCD depends on the specific equipment and method used. In general, it can provide comparable accuracy to traditional CCD photometry, and in some cases, it may even be more accurate due to the elimination of potential errors from image processing.

Back