Is it Possible to Challenge Real Analysis I and II for Grad School Credit?

In summary: But you can definitely try it out.In summary, the university allows students to challenge some of their courses for grad school. The cost of the challenge test is the same as the cost of taking the course, so it really has to count. The student is considering trying to challenge Real Analysis I and Real Analysis II. They are worried about the cost, difficulty, and importance of the course.
tmbrwlf730
Hello. The university I attend allows you to challenge some courses for grad school. Two of them are Real Analysis I and Real Analysis II. This made me consider trying it. The cost of the challenge test is the same as the cost if you took the course so it really has to count. I wanted to get some opinions about whether you think it is possible. I'm looking to challenge the course during the summer. Here's the description of the course so you can get an idea of what it contains. Thanks in advance.

Course Description:
Rigorous discussion of the topics introduced in calculus. Sequences, series, limits, continuity, differentiation

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't your question equivalent to "Tell me how much Real Analysis I know, and compare it to how much I need to know to test out of it?" I don't think we have the information to answer either half of this.

I don't know. I would say that, with the stakes being so high (the cost of an entire course and a failing mark on your transcript if you don't pass that test), if you have to ask that question, you shouldn't try to. And between now and Summer, you've got an entire semester in which to take that class, no?

If you're dead set though, maybe start by asking the professor what the content is, how feasible it would be for someone with your preparation to test out of it, if it would be possible to prepare on your own, and even if testing out is a good idea. Even if we did know your exact level of preparation, we can't necessarily know for sure exactly what that particular professor will choose to cover. And even if you do manage to test out, I'd be worried that skipping over such a fundamental course might be missing out on an important classroom experience.

That sounds a bit crazy to charge you the same amount for a test as for an entire course! Are you sure you're at a decent university? I know a lot of schools accept CLEP exams, which are a couple hundred bucks and can replace an entire course. Granted, they're for introductory material.

Anyways, it's doable. It'd be better if you could find a mentor who could guide you through the material.

, Riemann integration, and metric spaces.

I understand the appeal of challenging courses for grad school credit. However, I would advise you to carefully consider the course description and your own preparation before attempting to challenge Real Analysis I and II. This course is a rigorous and advanced study of mathematical topics that build upon the foundation of calculus. It requires a strong understanding of calculus concepts and the ability to think abstractly and logically. Additionally, the fact that the cost of the challenge test is the same as taking the course indicates that it is not an easy task and should not be taken lightly.

If you feel confident in your understanding of calculus and have a strong background in mathematics, then it may be possible for you to successfully challenge the course. However, I would recommend speaking with a professor or advisor in the math department to get their opinion and advice on your readiness for the challenge. They may also be able to provide you with additional resources or study materials to help you prepare.

Ultimately, the decision to challenge the course is up to you. Just make sure you are fully prepared and understand the commitment and difficulty of the course before proceeding. Good luck in your decision.

Related to Is it Possible to Challenge Real Analysis I and II for Grad School Credit?

1. What is "Testing Out of Real Analysis"?

"Testing Out of Real Analysis" is a process in which students can demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of real analysis, a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of real numbers and real-valued functions, through an examination or assessment. This allows students to receive credit for a course without having to physically attend classes or complete the traditional coursework.

2. Who can test out of Real Analysis?

Typically, students who have a strong background in mathematics and have completed prerequisite courses in calculus and linear algebra are eligible to test out of real analysis. However, eligibility requirements may vary depending on the institution offering the testing out option.

3. How can I prepare for a "Testing Out of Real Analysis" exam?

To prepare for a "Testing Out of Real Analysis" exam, it is important to review and strengthen your understanding of key concepts in real analysis, such as sequences, series, continuity, and differentiability. You can also practice solving problems and completing proofs to familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may be asked on the exam. Additionally, you may want to review any notes or materials from prerequisite courses in calculus and linear algebra.

4. What is the format of a "Testing Out of Real Analysis" exam?

The format of a "Testing Out of Real Analysis" exam may vary depending on the institution offering the exam. It may be a written exam, an oral exam, or a combination of both. The exam may also include a mixture of multiple-choice questions, short answer questions, and proof-based questions. It is important to check with the institution to understand the specific format and expectations for the exam.

5. What are the benefits of testing out of Real Analysis?

Testing out of real analysis can have several benefits. It allows students to receive credit for a course without having to physically attend classes or complete traditional coursework, which can save time and money. It also demonstrates a strong understanding of the subject and can be beneficial for students pursuing advanced degrees in mathematics or related fields. Additionally, it can free up space in a student's schedule to take other courses or explore other academic interests.