Is it possible to balance graduate school and raising children?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experiences of attending graduate school while also raising children. Some of the challenges mentioned include juggling responsibilities, relying on supportive spouses or relatives for childcare, and managing time effectively. It is suggested that postponing having children until after graduate school may be easier, but having children during post-doc years may also be a more manageable option.
Geremia
Does anyone here attend graduate school and have children to raise? What are your experiences? Would you recommend it to others? Read "Graduate School With Children" from the Chronicle of Higher Education: View attachment Graduate School With Children.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have children, so never had to deal with that myself, but I do know people who went through grad school with children. It does make it harder, because you're juggling more things. One thing grad students with children seemed to have in common were VERY supportive spouses or other relatives as caretakers (one grad student's mother moved into the town after his son was born, and made it possible for him to be away from home so much).

Some of the grad students I knew with children had older children, so it was a bit easier...the kids were old enough to understand why mommy wasn't home. Others had very young children, and really did a lot of juggling. They couldn't count on being able to get work done when at home like the rest of us did, so did have to stay in the office more when they needed to read or write. When they were actively doing research, it was a lot of night hours, after the kids were in bed. One person would come in after her kids were off to school or daycare, take her own classes, get home in time for the kids to get home from school, supervise their homework, make them dinner, get them tucked into bed, then head back to the lab to do her research.

I wouldn't recommend it if you can postpone having kids until after grad school (post-doc years are a lot easier time for having children, in my opinion), but if you already have them, don't let it hold you back from grad school as long as you realize it's going to be a little more difficult juggling everything.

Thanks for the response
Moonbear said:
One thing grad students with children seemed to have in common were VERY supportive spouses or other relatives as caretakers
Yes, it seems childcare is the biggest issue, but if the mother stays home, and perhaps even works a separate job from home, it seems like it would be much better than if both parents were grad students and sending their children to daycare.
Moonbear said:
post-doc years are a lot easier time for having children, in my opinion
How so?

Related to Is it possible to balance graduate school and raising children?

1. How do I balance grad school and taking care of my children?

It can be challenging to balance the demands of grad school with the responsibilities of being a parent. One strategy is to create a schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific times for studying and specific times for spending with your children. It is also important to communicate with your advisor and professors about your situation and discuss any potential accommodations that could help you balance your responsibilities.

2. Can I still be successful in grad school if I have children?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in grad school while also being a parent. It may require some extra time management skills and support, but many graduate students have successfully navigated this situation. It is important to set realistic goals and priorities, communicate with your advisor and professors, and take care of yourself both mentally and physically.

3. Is it common for graduate students to have children?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for graduate students to have children. Many universities and programs are recognizing the importance of supporting graduate students with families and are implementing policies and resources to help them succeed. It is important to research the specific program and university you are interested in to see what resources are available.

4. How can I find support for childcare while I am in grad school?

There are various resources available for graduate students who need support with childcare. Some universities have on-campus childcare centers or partnerships with local childcare providers. Additionally, there may be financial assistance or subsidies available for graduate students with children. It is important to research the resources available at your specific university and program.

5. Will having children affect my chances of getting into grad school?

Having children should not affect your chances of getting into grad school. Admissions decisions are typically based on academic qualifications and potential for success in the program, not family status. However, it is important to be realistic about the demands of grad school and how you will balance them with your responsibilities as a parent.