Is it possible to accurately measure the Young's modulus of wood?

In summary: Is this the case?Just want to add that in order to measure the flexural modulus accurately, the span-to-depth ratio that you use should be at least 6, preferably up to 16. Span to depth ratio is the length from the cantilever point to the load application point divided by the thickness of the beam. If the wood is laminated, the modulus so measured can differ from the tensile modulus by 15% to 40%.
allthewayhome
Hello,
I am currently carrying out an dynamic investigation of young's modulus for various linear materials such as copper, steel, and nylon but I am unsure how to find the modulus for wood.

I have several ideas including fixing one end of a sample length of wood to bench while placing a fixed load on the other and measure the extension, then work out the tensile force and strain from that.

Would this work?
Does anyone have any ideas or advice/criticism?

Regards,
Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it should work. Note only that you'll get a greater modulus of elasticity if the applied load is in the direction of the fibers, since wood is anisotropic.

This is the basic idea here with the load perpendicular to the fibres.

Wood (oak)
______________________ initial heigth under zero load
---------------- l
Bench l
l
l
l
(load X)

I was planning to measure the extension using a traveling microscope under a load x, increasing X by 0.1 kg.

The reason I am doing it this way is that the apparatus that the lab i use may not be able to accomadte the wood sample vertically with the load parallel to the fibres.

Can anyone point me in the direction(online) with details for this method or any other dynamic method for measuring young's modulus.

Last edited:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf

I have a suspicion that the correlation you get between calculated stress and strain will not be in the ballpark. The moisture content in actual test conditions is controlled. Mark's Handbook has a pretty good chart of wood mechanical properties.

allthewayhome said:
This is the basic idea here with the load perpendicular to the fibres.

Wood (oak)
______________________ initial heigth under zero load
---------------- l
Bench l
l
l
l
(load X)

I was planning to measure the extension using a traveling microscope under a load x, increasing X by 0.1 kg.

The reason I am doing it this way is that the apparatus that the lab i use may not be able to accomadte the wood sample vertically with the load parallel to the fibres.

Can anyone point me in the direction(online) with details for this method or any other dynamic method for measuring young's modulus.

You could use a strain gauge to measure the deformation.

These links may help
http://midas.npl.co.uk/midas/content/mn016.html
http://www.materials.ox.ac.uk/teaching/practicals/1P2youngsmodulus.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
hey,
I am not sure whether this is directly related, but I am trying to understand why the Elastic modulus of wood is different under compression and tension.
I believe it has something to do with the fact they are an organic substance made up of cells rather than a pure element or alloy.
Is this the case?

Just want to add that in order to measure the flexural modulus accurately, the span-to-depth ratio that you use should be at least 6, preferably up to 16. Span to depth ratio is the length from the cantilever point to the load application point divided by the thickness of the beam. If the wood is laminated, the modulus so measured can differ from the tensile modulus by 15% to 40%. What if you have a short S-T-D ratio, the shear coupling effect can affect your results.

I would think that the tensile modulus is higher than the compressive modulus - one can assume that the fibers are naturally misaligned in wood. When loaded in tension, the fibers tend to align with the loading axis, thus making the material stiffer. Under compressive load, the fibers tend to deviate more from the loading axis, making it less stiff. When it comes to compressive testing for modulus, the tested specimen has to scaled to avoid buckling, i.e. the radius of gyration has to be carefully determined ...

Related to Is it possible to accurately measure the Young's modulus of wood?

What is Young's modulus of wood?

Young's modulus of wood is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a piece of wood. It is also known as the modulus of elasticity and is often denoted by the symbol E.

How is Young's modulus of wood measured?

Young's modulus of wood is typically measured using a tensile test. This involves applying a force to a piece of wood and measuring the resulting strain or deformation. The value of Young's modulus is then calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length).

What factors can affect the value of Young's modulus of wood?

The value of Young's modulus of wood can vary depending on several factors, including the species of wood, the direction of the grain, the moisture content, and the temperature. Different types of wood have different structures and properties, which can affect their modulus of elasticity.

Why is Young's modulus important for wood?

Young's modulus is an important property for wood because it determines how much the material will deform under a given amount of stress. It is crucial for structural engineers and designers to know the modulus of elasticity of wood in order to ensure that it can withstand the required load and maintain its shape and integrity.

How does Young's modulus of wood compare to other materials?

The value of Young's modulus of wood is relatively low compared to other materials such as steel or concrete. This means that wood is not as stiff as these materials and will deform more under the same amount of stress. However, wood has a high strength-to-weight ratio, making it a useful and versatile building material.