Is it possible for a photon lifetime to be complex ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a complex photon lifetime and how it may be caused by numerical precision issues. It also raises questions about the concept of photon decay and what it refers to in relation to the photon's "life."
susovan0010
Hi!

In my calculation of photon lifetime, results are coming as complex number. So being a new one in this field I am just confused whether a photon lifetime ca be complex or somewhere I am making some mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not possibe. "time" is a real valued quantity.

(This also is not "academic guidance")

If you post the calculation we can probably help find the error.

It is also possible that the number is zero, with simple numerical precision issues giving the complex part.

I'm wondering how it is possible for a photon to decay at all! What does it decay to?

Bill_K said:
I'm wondering how it is possible for a photon to decay at all! What does it decay to?

What do you mean when you say decay?

The "life" of a photon typically refers to the expectation value of the time it takes for a photon to be attenuated by the medium through which it is passing. Attenuation occurs due to physical interactions between the photon and the medium (photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, pair production, photodisintegration, etc.).

Related to Is it possible for a photon lifetime to be complex ?

1. Can a photon's lifetime be complex?

Yes, it is possible for a photon's lifetime to be complex. This is known as a complex lifetime and is a concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the decay of particles.

2. What does it mean for a photon's lifetime to be complex?

A complex lifetime refers to the decay of a particle in which the decay rate is described by a complex number. This means that the decay rate is not a real number, but includes an imaginary component.

3. How does a complex lifetime affect the behavior of a photon?

A complex lifetime does not affect the behavior of a photon in the classical sense. However, in quantum mechanics, it is used to describe the probability of a photon decaying over time.

4. Is a complex lifetime commonly observed in photons?

No, a complex lifetime is not commonly observed in photons. It is more commonly observed in subatomic particles such as mesons and unstable nuclei.

5. What factors can lead to a photon having a complex lifetime?

The decay of a photon can become complex due to interactions with other particles or the environment. Additionally, the presence of a strong magnetic field or the effects of quantum entanglement can also lead to a complex lifetime for a photon.