Is it necessary to study Euclidean Geometry before Differential Geom.?

In summary, the conversation discusses the student's dilemma between studying Euclidean Geometry and other disciplines in preparation for Differential Geometry. The expert advises that while basic knowledge of analytic geometry is necessary, more important are calculus and linear algebra. The use of topology in differential geometry depends on the course and the teacher's chosen textbook. For most undergraduate courses, strong multivariable calculus and linear algebra are sufficient, while higher level courses may require a deeper understanding of smooth manifolds. It is recommended to obtain the textbook and syllabus in advance to assess the level of difficulty and required background knowledge.
Tosh5457
Hi, I'm a Physics undergraduate, and this semester I have the option to choose between Geometry (Axiomatic Euclidean Geometry) and other disciplines. In the next year I want to be ready to study Differential Geometry, but I don't know if I need to study Euclidean Geometry first. The teacher of D. Geometry told me it would help, but I really hate studying Euclidean Geometry, so if I could avoid it the better. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org

No, you really don't need to study it beforehand. Of course, you need to be comfortable with basic analytic geometry such as finding equations of lines and circles. But I assume you know that from high school.

More important is calculus and linear algebra. That is going to be used quite heavily.

micromass said:
No, you really don't need to study it beforehand. Of course, you need to be comfortable with basic analytic geometry such as finding equations of lines and circles. But I assume you know that from high school.

More important is calculus and linear algebra. That is going to be used quite heavily.

Thank you. My teacher also told me that I'll need topology, does differential geometry use it alot?

Tosh5457 said:
Thank you. My teacher also told me that I'll need topology, does differential geometry use it alot?

Depends on the course. Some differential geometry courses require no prerequisite knowledge of topology and they introduce the necessary concepts during the course. Other courses use it extensively.

But if your teacher says you'll need topology, then you're probably going to use it a lot.

What book is your teacher going to use? Maybe you can read through his book or his syllabus in order to see if you're in over your head or not.

micromass said:
Depends on the course. Some differential geometry courses require no prerequisite knowledge of topology and they introduce the necessary concepts during the course. Other courses use it extensively.

But if your teacher says you'll need topology, then you're probably going to use it a lot.

What book is your teacher going to use? Maybe you can read through his book or his syllabus in order to see if you're in over your head or not.

I'll check that. The teacher might change next year anyway, so I'll have to wait and see.

A lot of undergraduate differential geometry doesn't require much more than strong multivariable calc and linear algebra, and some mathematical maturity. Generally, it will be something like a "differential geometry of curves and surfaces" course taught from books like Do Carmo, O'Neill, etc. These books develop DG from a much more concrete, intuitive cases, and them abstracting them from there. They do build up some topological machinery, but never really to the full abstraction that's needed in a full course on topology. They usually just explain such concepts just enough to be applied to the course. For higher level DG, you need to be well acquainted with the language of smooth manifolds and such, which does require a bit more topological background.

The best thing to do would be to find out the book you're using, and see if you can get a syllabus from past classes. I actually found it useful to have learned DG from O'Neill before learning things like smooth manifold theory and more advanced diff geometry, because it provided motivation and examples of concepts I hadn't seen yet in full rigor.

Related to Is it necessary to study Euclidean Geometry before Differential Geom.?

1. What is Euclidean Geometry?

Euclidean Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of geometric shapes and figures in a two-dimensional and three-dimensional space. It is based on the works of the ancient Greek mathematician, Euclid, and is also known as "classical geometry".

2. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in a multi-dimensional space. It uses the concepts of calculus and linear algebra to understand the properties and transformations of these geometric objects.

3. Is it necessary to study Euclidean Geometry before learning Differential Geometry?

Yes, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of Euclidean Geometry before delving into Differential Geometry. Many of the concepts and principles in Differential Geometry are built upon the foundations of Euclidean Geometry.

4. What are the main differences between Euclidean Geometry and Differential Geometry?

Euclidean Geometry deals with flat, two-dimensional and three-dimensional spaces, while Differential Geometry deals with curved, multi-dimensional spaces. Additionally, Euclidean Geometry is more focused on geometric shapes and their properties, while Differential Geometry involves the use of calculus and algebra to study curves and surfaces.

5. How can studying Euclidean Geometry benefit my understanding of Differential Geometry?

Studying Euclidean Geometry can provide a strong foundation for understanding the basic principles and concepts in Differential Geometry. It can also help in developing geometric intuition and visualization skills, which are important in studying more complex geometric objects in Differential Geometry.