Is it Final Value Minus Initial Value for Potential Energy Change in Physics?

• Thread starter C. Long
  • Start date
In summary, when discussing the change in potential energy, the convention is to subtract the final value from the initial value. This also applies to kinetic energy and the changes in state of a system. It is important to check the definition of signs used, such as implicit minus signs being translated mathematically.
C. Long
I have a very simply Physics question. When talking about the change in Potential Energy it is the Final value minus the initial value correct? That's the way we were taught the Work Energy Thereom but some of the online homework now seems to be subtracting the Final value from the Initial. Am I wrong in my original thinking? It has been awhile since the first part of Physics for me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
C. Long said:
Final value minus the initial value
That's the way I learned it.

That would be the same then for Kinetic Energy as well?

When changing the state of a system, "Final minus Initial." Conventions on signs of particular "state functions/variables" can be somewhat muddled, but the changes themselves are "Final minus initial."

Just make sure you have checked the used definition for the sign, such as implicitly assumed minus is translated mathematically to ## V = -|V| ##. Can't comment further unless you provide the online page you referred to.

I see what you are saying, I should have thought of that myself. I'll check to see if that's what it was.

Related to Is it Final Value Minus Initial Value for Potential Energy Change in Physics?

1. What is the purpose of "Hopefully a simple question"?

The purpose of "Hopefully a simple question" is to gather information and insights on a particular topic or issue in the most straightforward and easy-to-understand way possible.

2. How does "Hopefully a simple question" differ from other types of questions?

"Hopefully a simple question" differs from other types of questions in that it is designed to be simple and uncomplicated in order to elicit clear and concise responses. It is also often used in casual or informal settings.

3. Can "Hopefully a simple question" be used in a scientific setting?

Yes, "Hopefully a simple question" can be used in a scientific setting. In fact, it can be a useful tool for gathering initial data and insights before formulating more complex and specific research questions.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using "Hopefully a simple question"?

One potential drawback of using "Hopefully a simple question" is that it may not provide enough depth or detail for complex topics. It is also important to consider the potential for bias in the way the question is phrased or presented.

5. How can "Hopefully a simple question" be used effectively?

To use "Hopefully a simple question" effectively, it is important to consider the purpose and audience of the question. It should be clear, concise, and unbiased in order to elicit the most informative and helpful responses.