Is it a good idea to major in computer science and pure math

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of having a background in both math and computer science on job prospects and the best career complement for a computer science degree. The experts suggest that while having a background in math may not necessarily impress hiring managers, it can be helpful in certain areas of computer science such as theoretical computer science. They also recommend focusing on developing practical skills and building a portfolio to stand out to potential employers.
TheMathNoob
I am not an expert in the field, but intuitively I think that a resume with both math and computer science has a lot of impact. I also think that math can help me understand computer science better. Next quarter, I am planning to take classical geometry, so I am just wondering if this class would help me in CS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Only if you were getting into computer graphics. The proofs that are done in Geometry help with logical thinking but geometry will mostly help you when you graphical programming or 2D/3D modeling programs/simulations.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Only if you were getting into computer graphics. The proofs that are done in Geometry help with logical thinking but geomtry will mostly help you when you graphical programming or 2D/3D modeling programs/simulations.
I have time and room for a second career that doesn't take too long such as mathematics. What would be the best career complement for CS?

I did physics and comp sci although my original thought was the other way round. I graduated and then started doing programming so all the math I had with variables and formulas and working with linear algebra translated easily into writing Fortran programs (1970's).

Later I got into simulations where my Differential Equations stuff helped. Now my style is more descriptive variable names, OO and some fundamental OO design patterns.

An interesting distinction of the 1970's was that science base programmers often used one and two letter variable names and handled arrays easily whereas business majors getting into programming used much longer more descriptive variable names and had trouble with tabular or higher indexing.

Having said all that, I think Boolean math and Set theory would help. Math related to Finite State machines is another good course as is compiler design which gets into recognizing patterns and thinking recursively.

You are right to think Comp Sci, as companies are more likely to hire a Comp Sci than a math major. Also its better to have a Comp Sci MS than a BS which in a companies mind means you have more training than someone with a BS.

Don't get me wrong, whatever math you take will help you in Comp Sci its just that it won't necessarily help you get a job but it will help you in doing your job. You see the distinction.

There's a notion that companies have as they try to decide on candidates namely they don't want to hire half a programmer if they want a programmer so in that case you must be a programmer who has some math instead of someone who has a foot in both camps.

Wait for other posters to comment too as things have changed since I started out and perhaps companies think a little different now.

TheMathNoob said:
I am not an expert in the field, but intuitively I think that a resume with both math and computer science has a lot of impact.
Not really. Consider that most candidates you will be competing against will have degrees in computer science. Hiring managers are unlikely to be impressed with a degree in pure math. Proof writing is not something you will be doing in a software engineering job. However, if you want a job in academia pure math is great, if you like theoretical computer science.

Personally, I don't really care what technical degree a candidate has. I care about whether he can do the job.

TheMathNoob said:
Next quarter, I am planning to take classical geometry, so I am just wondering if this class would help me in CS.
Maybe, but in my experience it won't help. Courses in discrete math, combinatorics, and graph theory would be far more useful.

TheMathNoob said:
What would be the best career complement for CS?
If you want to be a software developer, spend your extra time developing practical skills that you won't learn in academia. Develop a portfolio of applications that you can show potential employers. Showing a hiring manager what you have done and can do will give you a leg up on your competition. A second major in pure math won't.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Is it a good idea to major in computer science and pure math

1. Is majoring in computer science and pure math a good career choice?

Yes, majoring in computer science and pure math can lead to a successful and lucrative career. These fields are in high demand and offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and education.

2. What are the benefits of majoring in computer science and pure math?

There are many benefits to majoring in computer science and pure math. These fields provide strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in the job market. Additionally, graduates often have high earning potential and opportunities for advancement in their careers.

3. What skills will I gain from majoring in computer science and pure math?

Majoring in computer science and pure math will teach you a variety of skills such as programming, data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving. You will also learn to work with complex systems and develop logical reasoning skills, which are essential in many industries.

4. Is it challenging to major in computer science and pure math?

Yes, majoring in computer science and pure math can be challenging, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving. However, with hard work and dedication, it is a rewarding and fulfilling experience that can lead to many exciting career opportunities.

5. What career options are available for those with a major in computer science and pure math?

There are many career options available for those with a major in computer science and pure math. Some popular options include software engineer, data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, and research scientist. These fields offer a variety of job opportunities in different industries and often have high earning potential.