Is Intuition Enough to Determine Asymptotes in Calculus?

In summary, when evaluating the limit of 4/x^2 - x as x approaches infinity, the function goes to minus infinity. However, this is not a sufficient answer as it does not provide a clear point for a horizontal asymptote. The method to establish this is by writing the function as a single fraction, (4-x^3)/x^2, which has a vertical asymptote at x=0 and approaches negative infinity as x goes to infinity and approaches infinity as x goes to negative infinity. This implies the existence of a horizontal asymptote. It is also important to note that 4/0 is not defined, which establishes the presence of a vertical asymptote at x=0. The graph can be used to double
monet A
I am preparing to study for my exam, and there is something I am not sure about when evaluating the limit x --> Infinity of 4/x^2 - x
Intuitively the function seems to go to minus infinity, and I wonder if that is a sufficient answer or am I overlooking a rigorous method that should be applied here. It doesn't seem sufficient because I am looking for a horizontal asymptote and this answer doesn't guide me to a definitive point where one exists although it implies there would be one. Can someone give me a clue as to the method that would get me a clear answer.

Also as this function goes to 0, 4/0 is not defined so that's all I need to establish, right? And this would imply a vertical asymptote is at x = 0 which in turn implies that the function approaches infinity from above and below?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, what you have said is correct. You might prefer to write this as a single
fraction: (4-x3)/x2 which has a vertical asymptote at x= 0, goes to negative infinity as x goes to infinity, and goes to infinity as x goes to negative infinity.

So I can be certain at this point that there is horizontal asymptote.

I haven't looked at the graph I am trying to make certain that I can be confident in what I know from the equation without looking at the graph, as I would like to be in an exam.

I will be getting to looking at graphs to check my work next, believe it or not there is method to my madness.

Related to Is Intuition Enough to Determine Asymptotes in Calculus?

1. What is the purpose of studying graphing method?

The purpose of studying graphing method is to visualize data and relationships between variables in a clear and concise manner. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the data.

2. What are the different types of graphs used in graphing method?

There are several types of graphs used in graphing method, including line graphs, bar graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms. Each type of graph is used for a different purpose and can represent data in different ways.

3. How do you choose the appropriate graph for your data?

The appropriate graph for your data depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you are trying to show. For example, a line graph is usually used to show trends over time, while a bar graph is used to compare different categories of data.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating graphs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating graphs include using the wrong type of graph for your data, misleading or incorrect labeling of axes or data points, and not using a consistent scale or units.

5. How can studying graphing method benefit scientific research?

Studying graphing method can benefit scientific research by providing a visual representation of data that can make patterns and relationships easier to identify. This can aid in data analysis and help researchers make more informed conclusions about their findings.