Is Introduction to Physics the Same for Undergrad and High School Students?

In summary, an intro to physics course may use calculus or only algebra and trigonometry, and may or may not use a textbook. An intro to physics course may be taught in high school, undergraduate college, or graduate school.
Klaz
Hi everyone. I just want to ask what exactly is intro to physics? Is that what undergrad physics students study or is it high school physics? I am currently studying the textbook physics by David Halliday.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, there are generally speaking three kinds of intro physics courses. One kind uses calculus and a textbook like Halliday/Resnick/Walker's Fundamentals of Physics. A second kind does not use calculus, only algebra and some trigonometry, and a textbook like Serway/Vuille's College Physics. A third kind uses minimal math, and a textbook like Hewitt's Conceptual Physics.

All three kinds of courses may be taught in high school or in undergraduate college/university.

If you're using Halliday/Resnick/Krane's Physics, that is a calculus-based intro physics book that goes into somewhat greater depth than Halliday/Resnick/Walker. You can think of H/R/W as a somewhat "lighter" version of H/R/K.

So if I ever manage to understand the contents on the textbook I'm using. Is it safe to say that my knowledge of physics is close to an undergrad physics student?

Klaz said:
So if I ever manage to understand the contents on the textbook I'm using. Is it safe to say that my knowledge of physics is close to an undergrad physics student?
Possibly. Some high school classes may teach physics at the level of university first-year, while others may teach a more basic program. Undergrad physics is often taught in conjunction with calculus, but I've seen university courses/programs (usually leading to a BA) that teach physics without calculus or much math. I've never understood that approach, since physics and science in general is quantitative. However, one can learn about physics in a qualitative or conceptual way, which is probably how most non-physicists understand physics or science (or topics therein).

Ok. I am currently an engineering student and hoping to get into grad school in physics if I can't then engineering physics. Thanks for the replies.

Related to Is Introduction to Physics the Same for Undergrad and High School Students?

1. What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is a branch of science that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us to understand the world around us. It allows us to make predictions and develop technologies that improve our lives. Physics also serves as the foundation for many other fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy.

3. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, relativity, quantum mechanics, and optics. Other subfields include astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

4. How is physics related to math?

Physics and math are closely related, as math provides the language and tools for describing and understanding physical phenomena. Many concepts in physics, such as equations and formulas, are expressed mathematically.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It is also used in engineering, meteorology, and environmental science. Physics research also helps to advance our understanding of the universe and its origins.