Is Infinite Compressibility Possible in a System?

In summary, compressibility refers to the difficulty of compressing an object with a given pressure. A system with infinite compressibility would experience infinite changes in volume with the exercise of minimal pressure. This type of system does not exist in real life, but could be seen theoretically in black holes and ideal gases. However, in phase transitions, a system can exhibit temporary infinite compressibility. Some possible questions your university may ask about an infinite compressible system include the effects on temperature, pressure, and entropy, and whether space itself can be considered an infinite compressible system.
ShadowDatsas
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that compressibility, generally tells how difficult it is to compress an object. Meaning, the higher the compressibility, the easier it will be to compress an object with a given pressure.

I was asked in my University to describe an system of infinite compressibility.
I think that would mean that the volume changes would be infinite with the exercise of least pressure. Does a system like that exists? I couldn't think of anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
2 things straight off the top of my head,

Black holes "theoretically" compress matter into a space of zero volume so you could say the compressibility is infinite in that system.

Ideal gases would also be infinitely compressible due their particles lack of volume. Though there is no ideal gas in real life.

So no real physical systems but those might help you a bit.

ShadowDatsas said:
I was asked in my University to describe an system of infinite compressibility.
I think that would mean that the volume changes would be infinite with the exercise of least pressure. Does a system like that exists? I couldn't think of anything.

I don't know. Is that what infinite compressibility means? That one would not have to provide work to compress the substance? Gases are highly compressible but work is needed to compress. If you do not have to supply energy to the system as work, then the temperature would not increase? If you heated the system, what would the effect be then -would the pressure increase? Is the system entropy a constant? Can one consider space itself an infinite compressible system?

Just thought I would list some of the things your University might ask you, and you should have the answers to in your description of an infinite compressible system, and you are not left with a "umm uhh well uhh " answer.

Well I found the answer today.
The answer from rollcast was wrong as I thought. He was talking about infinite density, not compressibility. Compressibility is the change of density with pressure, not the value of density.
In phase transitions, a system has infinite compressibility, because the changes in desinty are huge, while pressure remains stable. So partly, an ideal gas can be a system with infinite compressibility.

I can provide a response to this question. Infinite compressibility is not possible in a physical system. This is because there is always a limit to how much a material can be compressed before reaching its maximum density. This is known as the close-packing limit and is determined by the physical properties of the material, such as the intermolecular forces between particles.

In theory, if we were to continue applying pressure to a material, it would eventually reach its close-packing limit and further compression would not be possible. This is because the particles would be in such close proximity that they could not be squeezed any closer together.

Furthermore, even if we were to somehow overcome the close-packing limit, the material would become so dense that it would collapse into a black hole due to the immense gravitational forces.

In conclusion, infinite compressibility is not possible in a physical system. While some materials may have high compressibility and can be easily compressed with a given pressure, there will always be a limit to how much they can be compressed.

Related to Is Infinite Compressibility Possible in a System?

1. What is infinite compressibility?

Infinite compressibility is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to the ability of a substance to be compressed into an infinitely small volume without reaching a state of infinite density. This means that no matter how much pressure is applied, the substance will continue to decrease in volume.

2. Can any substance exhibit infinite compressibility?

No, not all substances can exhibit infinite compressibility. This property is typically only seen in ideal gases, which have particles that do not interact with each other and therefore do not experience any repulsive forces when compressed.

3. What is the relationship between compressibility and density?

Compressibility and density are inversely related. As a substance becomes more compressible, it also becomes less dense. This means that a substance with infinite compressibility would have zero density.

4. How does infinite compressibility affect the behavior of a substance?

Infinite compressibility has a significant impact on the behavior of a substance. It means that the substance cannot be compressed to a point where it becomes a solid, and it will always retain its gaseous state. This also means that the substance will have a constant temperature and pressure, regardless of its volume.

5. Is infinite compressibility possible in the real world?

No, infinite compressibility is a theoretical concept and is not possible in the real world. While some substances may exhibit a high degree of compressibility, they will eventually reach a maximum density and stop compressing. Additionally, real-world gases have particles that interact with each other and experience repulsive forces, making infinite compressibility impossible.