Is Humanity Ready for a Society?

• Thread starter octelcogopod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the societal constructs of government and police, the idea of individual security and laws, and the role of propaganda and social conditioning in shaping public opinion. It also touches on the competition and power struggles within society and the concept of humanity's animalistic nature. The conversation ends with the suggestion that societal progress may take a long time and rely on evolution and natural selection.
octelcogopod
I wanted to discuss this topic and I hope I put it in the right forum.

When we grow up in society we learn to respect our government and police, or well, at least respect their authority in the sense that we never really are completely free in the original sense (because of fear mostly.)
People are given the idea that we have a government and police for the purpose of securing each individuals security in the world, but also active prosecution of so called immoral actions and activity.
With individual security comes of course laws against violence, organized crime and tons of other crimes.

The problem is that humans are competitive animals, yet at the same time when they are faced with an adversary so powerful that they cannot defeat it, they rather join it to secure their own survival, and I believe this is an essential component of todays society.
Through propaganda and social conditioning, groups of people with the same agenda and view on things forcefully inject people with their ideas, so to make everyone permanently brainwashed.
This ultimately leads to oppression of groups with other views, and thus they either fade out or are ridiculed in public.
Many times the popular view on any given issue is taken for granted, and usually it is not very researched or the research is subdued in public press to further promote the popular view.

This is of course the natural way of things in a way, people either lead or follow, and the ones who lead will almost always end up with more power than necessary, usually with the publics consent as well, because of years of social conditioning.
It seems like an eternal power struggle, more so than any other agenda for pursuing anything. A person with a strong belief is stronger than any other force, if he is in the right place at the right time.

It seems like no political model and no social structure works, because ultimately humanity is not ready for a society, or even intelligent ciritical thinking. Before we can embrace those things we need to let go of all our animalistic sides, fat chance of that happening.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
octelcogopod said:
This is of course the natural way of things in a way, people either lead or follow, and the ones who lead will almost always end up with more power than necessary, usually with the publics consent as well, because of years of social conditioning.
It seems like an eternal power struggle, more so than any other agenda for pursuing anything. A person with a strong belief is stronger than any other force, if he is in the right place at the right time.

It seems like no political model and no social structure works, because ultimately humanity is not ready for a society, or even intelligent ciritical thinking. Before we can embrace those things we need to let go of all our animalistic sides, fat chance of that happening.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Would you expect less from the premier omnivorous predators of the Universe?

Many times the popular view on any given issue is taken for granted, and usually it is not very researched or the research is subdued in public press to further promote the popular view.
as they say in american constitution, "we find these truthes self-evident".

octelcogopod said:
I wanted to discuss this topic and I hope I put it in the right forum.

When we grow up in society we learn to respect our government and police, or well, at least respect their authority in the sense that we never really are completely free in the original sense (because of fear mostly.)
People are given the idea that we have a government and police for the purpose of securing each individuals security in the world, but also active prosecution of so called immoral actions and activity.
With individual security comes of course laws against violence, organized crime and tons of other crimes.

The problem is that humans are competitive animals, yet at the same time when they are faced with an adversary so powerful that they cannot defeat it, they rather join it to secure their own survival, and I believe this is an essential component of todays society.
Through propaganda and social conditioning, groups of people with the same agenda and view on things forcefully inject people with their ideas, so to make everyone permanently brainwashed.
This ultimately leads to oppression of groups with other views, and thus they either fade out or are ridiculed in public.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The things you've pointed out are true. I don't think we need wait until the animalistic sides are let go of in order for society to bloom as an efficient and progressive entity.

I think we have to wait longer than that for evolution and natural selection to weed out the inefficencies of a mob rule society. I'm talking about a million years - given favorable environmental conditions (which appears unlikely).

Related to Is Humanity Ready for a Society?

What is the definition of power in society?

Power in society refers to the ability to influence and control others, either through the use of force or through social, political, or economic means. It is a complex and dynamic concept that can take many forms and have varying degrees of impact.

How do people gain power in society?

People can gain power in society through various means, such as wealth, social status, education, political connections, or physical strength. They may also acquire power through their knowledge, skills, or expertise in a particular field.

What are the effects of power on society?

The effects of power on society can be both positive and negative. On one hand, power can lead to advancements and progress, as those in positions of power can make decisions and implement changes that benefit society. However, power imbalances can also lead to oppression, inequality, and corruption.

How do people maintain power in society?

People can maintain power in society through various strategies, such as maintaining control over resources, manipulating public opinion, forming alliances with other powerful individuals or groups, and using force or coercion. They may also use their power to create and enforce laws and social norms that benefit them.

What is the role of power in social hierarchies?

Power plays a significant role in social hierarchies, as it determines the distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals and groups. Those with more power often occupy higher positions in the social hierarchy, while those with less power may face discrimination and barriers to social mobility.