Is Higher Mathematics Crucial in Understanding Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student taking their first course in QM and is struggling with the mathematical formalism. They feel that the use of vocabulary and definitions from higher algebra, topology, and functional analysis is alien to them and they are expected to take it on faith. The suggested textbook does not provide much help. They have also faced similar struggles in other courses and are wondering if they are getting ahead of themselves and if they should focus on completing the course before delving into the deeper understanding of the math. The response advises to continue learning and revisiting the subject for a deeper understanding, while also focusing on solving physics problems and not being too idealistic. The speaker, who is in grad school, also shares a similar struggle
Lavabug
I'm an undergrad currently taking my first course in QM. We've just about finished our chapters on the mathematical formalism and it has been making me pose a lot of questions. We use a lot of vocabulary/definitions that I suspect come from higher algebra, topology, & functional analysis all which are alien to me at this stage in my curriculum. Terms like compactness, completeness, orthogonal functions to name a few, I feel like am expected to take them on faith without really knowing what they mean/why they're used in QM (I can see the parallelism between the cartesian unit vectors i,j,k and cos/sin functions in the interval [0, 2pi], but that's about it). Our suggested textbook (Cohen's) doesn't aid me much other than giving me more precise definitions of what is talked about in class.

I pretty much felt the same way in analytical mechanics when we covered Hamilton-Jacobi theory and my last MM course on integral transforms. Integral transforms was taught in a plug n chug manner and I didn't quite know what significance swapping a problem into a "reciprocal space" had, other than to make some PDE/ODE problem simpler...

Am I getting ahead of myself? Is there anything I can do that can remedy my situation? I get the impression that this gets even worse in more advanced subjects like QFT, which I would really like to take at the grad level. Should I just worry about completing the course in QM before pondering all of this? Feel free to shake the curiosity out of me if you feel I risk failing my course from spending time on these questions haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's only so much mathematical background a class can include while still covering enough physics. Definitely keep trying to read up on the background mathematics when you can, but make sure you can solve the physics problems first and foremost, even when you have to take some mathematical statements as "recipes". If you are learning this physics for the first time, you are going to need to revisit it many times in the future anyway, so each time you can gain a deeper understanding of the math. You continue learning about a subject long after the class ends, so you don't want to be TOO idealistic; when you graduate you want to have the strongest understanding possible with good grades, otherwise you may not have a chance to apply the understanding to anything.

I am in grad school and I have a similar problem. I am often more tempted to read about the fundamentals than to try to make research progress with my current level of knowledge. Trying to take my own advice. :rolleyes:

Related to Is Higher Mathematics Crucial in Understanding Quantum Mechanics?

What is the role of higher mathematics in quantum mechanics?

Higher mathematics plays a crucial role in understanding and describing the behavior of quantum systems. It provides the tools and techniques necessary to solve complex equations and model the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What mathematical concepts are essential for understanding quantum mechanics?

Some of the key mathematical concepts used in quantum mechanics include linear algebra, complex numbers, differential equations, and probability theory. These concepts are used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles and calculate their probabilities of being in certain states.

How does higher mathematics help in solving the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. Higher mathematics, specifically differential equations and linear algebra, are used to solve this equation and determine the wave function of a quantum system.

Why is a strong foundation in mathematics important for studying quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a highly mathematical theory, and a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for understanding its concepts and solving the complex equations involved. Without a solid understanding of mathematical concepts, it can be challenging to grasp the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

How does higher mathematics contribute to the development of new theories in quantum mechanics?

Higher mathematics is an essential tool for researchers in quantum mechanics to develop new theories and models. By applying advanced mathematical concepts, scientists can make predictions and test the validity of these theories, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field of quantum mechanics.