Is Group Multiplication Possible in Non-Mathematical Topics?

• I
  • Thread starter physics1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of double dollars or double hashes to fix Latex and the possibility of writing ##\{3a, a \in \mathbb{N}\}## as ##\mathbb{N}\cdot 3##. It is also mentioned that ##\mathbb{N}## is not a group and that the product ##A\times B## is likely a direct product. Additionally, the conversation mentions the possibility of building semidirect or direct products with groups and the possibility of tensor products in certain cases.
physics1000
TL;DR Summary
Okay, what I mean:
Lets say I have the group ##\mathbb{N}##
If I have a vector product of A x B which has a, 3a
Can I write Dom(R) as ##\mathbb{N}## and Range(R) as ##\mathbb{N} * 3##?
Sorry if it didnt belong.
its not at calculus or linear algebra.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##\mathbb N## is not a group. Do you mean set?

Use double dollars or double hashes to fix your Latex.

This question is a mess. ##\mathbb{N}## is no group, to begin with. Then your product ##A\times B## doesn't look like a vector product. It's probably a direct product.

If you have groups, you can build semidirect, or direct products. Also, tensor products are possible in certain cases.

Are you asking if you can write ##\{3a, a \in \mathbb{N}\}## as ##\mathbb{N}\cdot 3##? It looks awkward but its possible to understand what you mean.

PeroK said:
Use double dollars or double hashes to fix your Latex.
Fixed...

Likes jim mcnamara
You can describe the output as ##\{(a,3a)\}##.

Thanks guys for the answers.
Sorry for my bad latex... ( and bad english )

Related to Is Group Multiplication Possible in Non-Mathematical Topics?

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements that are combined using a binary operation, such as addition or multiplication, and follow specific rules or axioms. These rules include closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

2. What does it mean to multiply a group?

Multiplying a group means applying the binary operation to each element in the group, resulting in a new element that is also part of the group. This can be thought of as combining or repeating the group elements a certain number of times.

3. Is it possible to multiply a group by a non-integer?

Yes, it is possible to multiply a group by a non-integer, as long as the group elements and the binary operation are defined for the non-integer values. For example, if the group is made up of real numbers and the binary operation is multiplication, then multiplying the group by a non-integer would result in a new group with real numbers as elements.

4. What is the result of multiplying a group by its identity element?

The result of multiplying a group by its identity element is the same group, as the identity element does not change the value of any element in the group when used in the binary operation.

5. Can a group be multiplied by itself?

Yes, a group can be multiplied by itself, also known as taking the power of a group. This is done by repeatedly applying the binary operation to the group elements, resulting in a new group with elements that are the original group elements combined a certain number of times.