Is Gravity Involved in the Motion of a Pendulum After a Collision?

In summary, the problem is solved by looking at impulse and momentum and taking into account gravitational potential energy.
Maxo

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

∑F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a problem that can be solved by looking at impulse and momentum and I understand how the problem is solved in the book but I'm wondering about the reasoning before, if this is the only way to look at it. When I look at the picture of what happens, there is a bullet that hits a pendulum so it moves upwards. I would from looking at this assume that when the object (bullet + ballistic pendulum) moves upwards, there is a force of gravity involved. In the way the task has been solved in the book they didn't draw in a free body-diagram showing the forces acting on the objects. What I'm wondering is wouldn't the force of gravity actually be involved after this collision, when the pendulum moves upwards? And then shouldn't it be drawn in a free body diagram?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, gravity should be included in a free body diagram. Is that all you wanted to know?

Maxo said:
What I'm wondering is wouldn't the force of gravity actually be involved after this collision, when the pendulum moves upwards?

On the next pages, does the text take gravitational potential energy into account?

Maxo said:
And then shouldn't it be drawn in a free body diagram?

I don't see a free-body diagram. The diagram in the image you posted shows velocities (which aren't on free-body diagrams), and not forces (which are on free-body diagrams).

George Jones said:
On the next pages, does the text take gravitational potential energy into account?

Yes it does... which makes sense. But I still don't understand why this problem could also have been solved by looking at the forces in a free body diagram? Or could it?

Maxo said:
Yes it does... which makes sense. But I still don't understand why this problem could also have been solved by looking at the forces in a free body diagram? Or could it?
I presume your question is only in regard to the motion after the impact.
If you attempt it by forces and accelerations you will obtain the differential equation of motion of a pendulum. Since it would not be acceptable to make the usual SHM approximation, the equation cannot be solved in general. Time as a variable can be eliminated from the equation to produce an answer to this question, but what that is doing, in effect, is deriving the fact that work is conserved by the forces.

Related to Is Gravity Involved in the Motion of a Pendulum After a Collision?

1. What is the role of gravity in a collision?

Gravity plays a major role in any collision between two objects. It is the force that brings the two objects together and determines the strength of the impact.

2. How does gravity affect the velocity of objects in a collision?

Gravity can affect the velocity of objects in a collision by either increasing or decreasing it. If the objects are moving towards each other, gravity will increase their velocity, resulting in a more powerful collision. However, if the objects are moving away from each other, gravity will decrease their velocity, resulting in a weaker collision.

3. Can gravity change the direction of objects in a collision?

Yes, gravity can change the direction of objects in a collision. This is because gravity is a force that acts on the objects, causing them to change their direction of motion.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the strength of the gravitational force in a collision?

The mass of the objects does not directly affect the strength of the gravitational force in a collision. However, the mass of the objects will determine the magnitude of the force of impact and the resulting damage caused by the collision.

5. Is it possible for a collision to occur without any involvement of gravity?

No, it is not possible for a collision to occur without the involvement of gravity. Even in situations where there is no apparent gravitational force, such as in outer space, there is still a gravitational pull between objects. This pull may be very small, but it still plays a role in the collision.