Is Gravitation by MTW Out of Print?

In summary: I have no idea when my copy was published, but it was around $120.The original publisher discontinued printing the book, possibly because after 43 years with many intervening upgrades to their computer systems and mergers of publishing companies they could no longer find/read the files used to print it. A new printing (adding only a new preface and an introduction) will be published by Princeton University Press later this year, 2017.
CJ2116
Hi everyone,

When I graduated college about 4 years ago I had to, regrettably, sell off many of my math/physics books to pay back my student loans. One of my favorites was Gravitation. For the past few months I have been looking to buy it again, but it looks like all of the major sellers (Amazon, BN, Half.com/Ebay etc.) are out of stock. Even worse, second hand copies are running for close to $300 US!

Does anyone know if there are going to be reprints soon? Even the books' publisher W. H. Freeman doesn't have a website for it anymore.

Thanks!

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, it's been a few days since I checked, but it does at least look like there are now copies for around $200. Still very expensive, though!

The new copies are all from third-party sellers, not from Amazon itself. They're probably "old stock." If the book were "in print" and available from the publisher, surely Amazon would sell it directly, possibly with a notice "out of stock, more copies coming soon" or something like that.

I emailed Macmillan, and customersupport@macmillanusa.com replied to me with: "The text Gravitation is no longer being printed . Please let me know if you have any questions."

It would be nice if they reprinted it in several volumes. My back can't take it any more.

The Bill said:
I emailed Macmillan, and customersupport@macmillanusa.com replied to me with: "The text Gravitation is no longer being printed . Please let me know if you have any questions."

Interesting, would be nice if Dover picked this up for reprinting!

It's a shame that this classic is not in print anymore. If they don't want to reprint it anymore they could and should give up their copyright. Illegal downloads are already online. So why not making those legal?

vanhees71 said:
Illegal downloads are already online.
vanhees71 said:
It's a shame that this classic is not in print anymore

Maybe there is a cause and effect relationship here.

May be, but I guess that such a book you'd like to have in print and then buy it (at least I still buy a lot of textbooks even when I can get them as an ebook for free, and even legal via the university subscription).

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Perhaps they are planning a new edition

The original publisher discontinued printing the book, possibly because after 43 years with many intervening upgrades to their computer systems and mergers of publishing companies they could no longer find/read the files used to print it. A new printing (adding only a new preface and an introduction) will be published by Princeton University Press later this year, 2017.

Likes The Bill and Demystifier
MTWfan said:
The original publisher discontinued printing the book, possibly because after 43 years with many intervening upgrades to their computer systems and mergers of publishing companies they could no longer find/read the files used to print it. A new printing (adding only a new preface and an introduction) will be published by Princeton University Press later this year, 2017.

Good Information. You can preorder the HC from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691177791/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes The Bill
MTWfan said:

Some of the material can be outdated. Is this simply a reprinting of the original content, or is it a 2nd Edition (i.e. partial rewriting) by the (living) authors?

dextercioby said:
Some of the material can be outdated. Is this simply a reprinting of the original content, or is it a 2nd Edition (i.e. partial rewriting) by the (living) authors?
It is just a reprinting, with a new preface and a current introduction added. No updating of the 1973 text.

Well, this is still good enough, because the book - as far as I heard - has some great insights into topics which require a greater level of mathematical maturity from the reader of Wald or Hawking and Ellis.
So for a hardback edition - usually very pricy - it should be more than worth the money.

MTWfan said:

That's great to hear. It'll be nice to be able to honestly recommend the book again. Also, I've had good experiences with Princeton University Press' printings. Also, the price for the new hardcover is less in 2017 dollars the price 2001(ish) dollars for my copy of the paperback!

The Bill said:
Also, the price for the new hardcover is less in 2017 dollars the price 2001(ish) dollars for my copy of the paperback!
For me it shows $45.38. :)) I don't remember exactly what I paid for my paperback copy during my first year of grad school (1975-76), but it couldn't have been more than about $20, which would be $80 or so in today's dollars. Even $80 would be pretty cheap nowadays.

I also don't see, in which sense the book should be "outdated" nowadays. Of course, there has been great progress in cosmology since the 1970ies, but General Relativity basically hasn't changed since 1916, and "MTW" is more modern in its mathematical treatment than many other books.

Likes Demystifier
Thanks for the updates on this - I'll definitely be pre ordering it. Along with Kip Thorne's new book as well!

vanhees71 said:
I also don't see, in which sense the book should be "outdated" nowadays. Of course, there has been great progress in cosmology since the 1970ies, but General Relativity basically hasn't changed since 1916, and "MTW" is more modern in its mathematical treatment than many other books.

I think MTW anticipated that their section on ADM would become out of date, as that was being developed around the time they wrote the book.

Likes vanhees71
atyy said:
I think MTW anticipated that their section on ADM would become out of date, as that was being developed around the time they wrote the book.

What do you mean and why do you think so? The book was written about 10 years after ADM.

Related to Is Gravitation by MTW Out of Print?

1. What is MTW's "Gravitation" and why is it significant?

MTW's "Gravitation" is a textbook on general relativity, written by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler. It is considered a classic in the field and is widely used by physicists and astronomers. It is significant because it presents a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of the theory of gravitation, which is a fundamental aspect of modern physics.

2. Is "Gravitation" by MTW still relevant in current research?

Yes, "Gravitation" is still relevant in current research. Although it was first published in 1973, the book covers the fundamental principles and equations of general relativity, which have not changed. It also includes discussions of more recent developments such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expanding universe.

3. Why is "Gravitation" by MTW out of print?

There are a few reasons why "Gravitation" by MTW is out of print. One reason is that the book is quite long and expensive to produce, making it less profitable for publishers. Another reason is that there are now many other textbooks on general relativity available, so the demand for "Gravitation" may have decreased over time.

4. Can I still find a copy of "Gravitation" by MTW?

Yes, you can still find copies of "Gravitation" by MTW through various online retailers or in libraries. Some used bookstores may also have copies available. However, keep in mind that these copies may be expensive due to their rarity.

5. Are there any alternative textbooks to "Gravitation" by MTW?

Yes, there are several alternative textbooks on general relativity that cover similar material to "Gravitation" by MTW. Some popular options include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "General Relativity" by Robert Wald, and "Gravity" by James Hartle. These textbooks may offer different perspectives and teaching styles, so it is worth exploring multiple options to find what works best for you.