Is General Relativity Incomplete Without Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

In summary: The mass density of the universe is a parameter of our GR models. The "cosmological constant" is a parameter of the same models. Neither is known a priori, so both need to be established by experiment. That called is doing science, not fudging.
mustang19
Dark matter and dark energy are fudge factors to solve problems in general relativity such as unexplained mass and drag. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The evolution of physics is that we develop theories that explain the things we can measure and then we continue to explore new areas and continue to apply the theory. When a given theory doesn't seem to work we check if our understanding is correct or that there is some hidden cause for the discrepancy before we decide to sack the theory and look for a new one.

In the case,of General Relativity every measureable experiment has confirmed that is still a valid and useful theory to explore the cosmos. It is because of its predictive accuracy that we have discovered the effects that we now say are due to dark matter and dark energy. It's natural then that scientists seek something to explain the discrepancies in measurements rather than scrap General Relativity.

If someone were to come along with a new theory that explained all of General Relativity's results, together with dark energy and dark matter anomalies then it could be a contender but we've not seen such a theory yet.

Likes mustang19 and berkeman
In the case,of General Relativity every measureable experiment has confirmed that is still a valid and useful theory to explore the cosmos.

Besides the cases I mentioned

mustang19 said:
Is this correct or am I missing something?

You're missing something. What you're missing is that there are no other models currently known that account for all the data and do not have dark matter and dark energy in them. There are speculative models that do not include dark matter and dark energy, but they only account for some of the data, not all of it.

mustang19 said:
Besides the cases I mentioned

The cases you mention don't disconfirm GR, since we have a valid GR model that accounts for that data. So your claim here is false.

Likes mustang19
mustang19 said:
Dark matter and dark energy are fudge factors to solve problems in general relativity such as unexplained mass and drag. Is this correct or am I missing something?
How would you characterize the discovery of the neutrino, or the planet Neptune? Both were predicted because it was more plausible that they existed and explained the discrepancy between theory and observation than that the theory was wrong.

Likes mustang19
I'm sorry - where in the Einstein Field Equations does it say "all matter must be luminous"? I'm having a hard time finding it.

Likes PeroK and mustang19
mustang19 said:
Mass density of the universe is a parameter of our GR models. The "cosmological constant" is a parameter of the same models. Neither is known a priori, so both need to be established by experiment. That called is doing science, not fudging.

Likes jedishrfu and Vanadium 50
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm sorry - where in the Einstein Field Equations does it say "all matter must be luminous"? I'm having a hard time finding it.
Exactly what I told the judge after running over the dog:cry:

Likes phinds

Related to Is General Relativity Incomplete Without Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

1. What are the main flaws in general relativity?

The main flaw in general relativity is that it does not account for quantum effects, which are necessary to explain certain phenomena, such as black holes and the behavior of subatomic particles. Additionally, general relativity does not fully explain the concept of dark energy and dark matter, which make up a significant portion of the universe's mass and energy.

2. How do these flaws affect our understanding of the universe?

The flaws in general relativity limit our understanding of the universe, as they prevent us from fully explaining and predicting certain phenomena. This means that there are still many unanswered questions in the field of astrophysics and cosmology that rely on a complete understanding of gravity.

3. Are there any attempts to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics?

Yes, there have been numerous attempts to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity. However, these theories are still in the early stages of development and have yet to be fully proven.

4. How does the search for a theory of everything relate to flaws in general relativity?

The search for a theory of everything, or a unified theory that can explain all fundamental forces and particles in the universe, is closely related to the flaws in general relativity. This is because a theory of everything would need to incorporate both general relativity and quantum mechanics in order to fully explain the universe.

5. Can general relativity still be considered a valid theory despite its flaws?

Yes, general relativity is still a valid theory and has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. However, it is also understood that the theory is not complete and may need to be modified or replaced in the future as we continue to gain a deeper understanding of the universe.