Is Game Theory the Perfect Summer Learning Opportunity for High Schoolers?

In summary, the individual is a high school senior looking for something to learn over the summer and is interested in learning mathematical game theory. They have completed math courses up to linear algebra and real analysis and are wondering about the prerequisites for learning game theory and what books are recommended. They are also curious about the active research in game theory. The individual's university offers a game theory course with linear algebra as the only prerequisite and recommends a specific book for the course. Other universities may have different prerequisites, such as introductory statistics and microeconomic theory.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Hello, I will be a rising high school senior next year, and I'm looking for something worthwhile to learn over this summer. I'm really interested in learning mathematical game theory. I was wondering on the prerequisites before learning game theory (I've done maths up to linear algebra and real analysis). Also what books are best suited for a good introduction about the topic? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to look up the course on the website(s) of the university/universities to which you are planning to attend and/or apply.

Here is the description from my university's course catalog:

MATH 486/686 GAME THEORY
Lecture+Lab: 3+0
Credit(s): 3

Extensive form games; Nash, perfect equilibrium; matrix/bimatrix games; minmax theorem; TU/NTU solutions; marriage, college admissions, and housewrapping games; core; Shapley value; power indices.

The only prerequisite listed for this course is Linear Algebra (MATH 330).

The prerequisites for MATH 330, at my university, are Calc III (MATH 283 R) or Matrix Algebra (MATH 253).

Hopefully this information is helpful. Perhaps someone who's taken a game theory course will be able to provide some experiential knowledge. :smile:

oh, only Linear Algebra. It shouldn't be that bad then.

You might want to check out this lecture series which is a bit of fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What school do you want to go to??

some universities don't even offer mathematically rigorous game theory,

For example..

ECON 4349: Game Theory - Introduction to the theory of games and solution methods. Real world situations as games, predicting outcomes using game theory techniques. Bargaining, oligopoly, auctions, coordination, and provision of public goods.

Prerequisites: Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis & Intermediate Microeconomic Theory

Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis & Intermediate
Prerequisites: College Algebra

Intermediate Microeconomic Theory
Prerequisites: Microeconomic Principles

Microeconomic Principles
Prerequisites: College Algebra

ZeroZero2 said:
What school do you want to go to??

Why should it matter? I just something to do during the summer, and I'm really interested in learning mathematical game theory.

I did a game theory course in my second year, and it also only required linear algebra. Of course, it depends on how the course is given, which differs from university to university (some offer an advanced course, which naturally requires more).

We used this book.

By the way, is game theory still an active field in terms of research?

Not in mathematics. Maybe econ.

Related to Is Game Theory the Perfect Summer Learning Opportunity for High Schoolers?

1. What is Game Theory?

Game Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies strategic decision-making in situations where the outcome of one person's decision depends on the decisions made by others involved in the situation.

2. What are some common applications of Game Theory?

Game Theory has a wide range of applications, including economics, political science, psychology, biology, and computer science. It is used to analyze and understand decision-making in various competitive situations, such as business negotiations, military conflicts, and sports.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying Game Theory?

The prerequisites for studying Game Theory typically include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and probability theory. It also helps to have a basic understanding of microeconomics and psychology.

4. How does one apply Game Theory to real-world situations?

To apply Game Theory to real-world situations, one must identify the players involved, their objectives, and the available strategies. Then, using mathematical models and analysis, one can determine the optimal strategy for each player and predict the likely outcome of the situation.

5. Are there any limitations to Game Theory?

While Game Theory is a powerful tool for understanding strategic decision-making, it does have some limitations. It assumes rationality and complete information on the part of the players, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, the outcomes predicted by Game Theory may not always align with the actual outcomes due to unpredictable human behavior.