Is friction the only force that does work when we walk?

• Thread starter deepani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and how it relates to static friction. It is established that static friction does not do work, but it is capable of changing the center of mass of a system. However, when discussing work, it is possible for there to be displacement without any work being done. This raises the question of whether there is a conceptual error in this understanding. The response suggests that the equation for work does not necessarily require contact between bodies and that for activities like walking and running, work is done simply by moving from one point to another.
deepani
Okay, so I know that static friction does no work since work is defined as:
W = ∫F.ds. The displacement is defined only for the point of contact. So, when one walks, one foot remains on the ground. The static force of friction acts on that leg. Thus the point of application also, lies on that leg. Now, one moves the other leg in the forward direction, thus changing the center of mass of the system (here I consider the whole human body as the system and nothing else). So, we know that only the external forces are capable of changing the center of mass of the system, which, in this case is of course, the static force of friction.
But, what happens when we talk about work? So, is it possible, that although no force does work on a system, there is still some displacement? (I'm not changing my reference frame, initially, object was stationary w.r.t the frame)

Let's say one runs accelerating by a small amount. There is still no work done. But we define : ΔK.E = Work done by conservative, non-conservative and external forces, which in this case is ZERO.
This implies that there should be no change in kinetic which is not true! (i'm only accelerating until the force I apply does not exceed μmg, the max. frictional force)
PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.. this question has got me confused. Is there a conceptual blunder, if so please explain. thanks in advance... ANd sorry for such a long write-up..:P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for work does not presuppose that contact between two bodies is necessary for work to be done. If that were true, then airplanes could fly forever without the need to refuel.

For walking, running, etc., a person does work by the simple fact of moving from point A to point B. Where there is contact and there is friction, it takes work to overcome friction.

Related to Is friction the only force that does work when we walk?

What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, resulting in a displacement of the object. In other words, work is done when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force.

Who is doing the work when we walk?

When we walk, our muscles are doing the work. Our muscles contract and relax to move our legs and propel our bodies forward. This requires energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which is produced through cellular respiration.

Why do we get tired when we walk?

Walking requires energy, and our bodies have a limited supply of ATP. As we continue to walk, our muscles use up this energy and we start to feel tired. This is why we need to rest and replenish our energy stores through eating and sleeping.

Does walking on different surfaces require different amounts of work?

Yes, walking on different surfaces can require different amounts of work. For example, walking on soft sand or uphill will require more work because our muscles need to work harder to move our bodies through the resistance. On the other hand, walking on a smooth, flat surface requires less work.

How does our body adjust to the work of walking?

Our bodies adjust to the work of walking through a process called homeostasis. This involves regulating our heart rate, breathing, and body temperature to maintain a balance and meet the demands of the work. Additionally, our muscles may become stronger and more efficient with regular walking, making it easier for us to do the work over time.