Is Free Will Possible for Bacteria?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of free will and whether bacteria possess it. The conclusion was that while bacteria may display certain behaviors and actions, they do not have consciousness and therefore cannot have free will. The use of the bacteria as an example was to provoke thought about the broader topic of free will. The idea of free will itself is a complex and debated topic, with some suggesting that it may not even make sense to use the term. Additionally, there are other factors such as quantum mechanics that could potentially influence the idea of free will. Ultimately, the success of bacteria as a species suggests that free will may not be necessary for survival.
hivesaeed4
I was discussing the concept of free will with my professor and he asked me to ponder over the question of whether bacteria has free will. I answered no as everything it does has a simple reason like it will move towards food whereas it will move away from an unpleasant area and so on. It doesn't (as far as I know) dispay emotions or curiosty etc, like us.

Any discussion/views on the topic would be welcomed.

Biology news on Phys.org
Whilst we don't have a solution to the hard problem of consciousness (in otherwords we cannot explain exactly how consciousness arises and what it is) all of what we do know points to bacteria not being conscious beings. As such they can be agents (i.e. capable of action) but without consciousness there can't really be will.

Having said all that your professor was probably just trying to get you to think of free will in general and uses the example of a bacteria as a good frame for this. The reason being that the difference between us and bacteria is relatively small; we too are a culmination of chemical reactions but there is both a qualitative and quantitative difference between us (though examples of elephants and redwoods would point to the latter not being significant).

Lastly "free will" is a long and complex debate in itself as to whether or not the term even makes sense and what it could mean. See the philosophy forum for more on that.

I read this interesting article a while back, which suggests bacteria under stress have to make decisions, and their decisions are dependent on what other bacteria decide:

http://murj.mit.edu/news/world/16

Last edited by a moderator:
OP: do humans have free will?

atyy said:

I think that use of the term "free will" in the first link is kind of irrelevant to the actual paradoxical idea of free will. You could just replace "free will" with "local noise" and it would be functionally identical, only the words "free will" brings a bunch of philosophical baggage with it, whereas "local noise" remains neutral about the noise source.

Bacteria may not have free will, but they are collectively very successful. Who needs free will?

Last edited:

Related to Is Free Will Possible for Bacteria?

1. What is free will and how does it relate to bacteria?

Free will is the ability to make choices and decisions without being determined by external factors. In the context of bacteria, it refers to the idea of whether bacteria have the ability to act based on their own desires or if their actions are solely determined by their biological processes.

2. Do bacteria have the cognitive abilities necessary for free will?

No, bacteria do not have the cognitive abilities necessary for free will. They do not possess a central nervous system or the ability to process complex thoughts and emotions like humans do. Their actions are primarily driven by their genetic makeup and environmental stimuli.

3. Can bacteria make choices or decisions?

Bacteria do not have the capacity to make conscious choices or decisions. They respond to their environment through programmed behaviors and reactions, but these actions are not based on conscious decision-making.

4. Is there any evidence to suggest that bacteria have free will?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that bacteria have free will. Studies have shown that their actions are determined by biological and environmental factors, not by conscious decision-making.

5. Why is the question of bacteria having free will important?

The question of whether bacteria have free will is important because it relates to larger philosophical debates about the existence and nature of free will. It also has implications for how we understand and treat bacteria in fields such as medicine and agriculture.