Is finance a viable career for a simple engineer?

In summary: Well, I guess I'll go to my college's career center and ask them what kind of jobs I could look for if I wanted to pursue a career in finance or economics.In summary, a guy with a MSc. in technical physics (engineering-physics) could do math stuff like modelling and analysing, and usually work long hours for wages that are not as high as those in the tech industry. Taking a phD may not do much for you in the finance or tech industry outside of academia.
Nikitin
Hi.

What job could a guy with a MSc. in technical physics (engineering-physics) do if he chose to pursue a career in finance/economics? Typical math stuff like modelling and analysing? What are the work hours and wages compared to a job in the tech industry? Finally, does taking a phD pay-off for a career (in finance or tech industry) outside the academia?

All replies are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How good are your programming skills? What country will you be looking for work in?

Hours are usually very long both in finance and technology. You can make a lot more money in finance if you can get into the right position.

A Ph.D. doesn't do much for you in industry except in a few niche areas.

Just a small sample slice: I recently employed two interns for the summer. One turned down a $10,400 offer from a bulge bracket investment bank; the other turned down a $15,000 offer from a software development job at a large CA tech firm. The pay you get also largely depends on how many previous job experiences you've had in the same field. But on average, tech firms pay more than financial institutions. This is also true of the statistics I've gotten from my alma mater's alumni association.

thanks for the answers! So it's really just a myth that working in finance will make you filthy rich? Huh. But what kind of jobs could I expect to do if I chose a career in finance?

Locrian: By the end of my degree I'll have 3 programming courses under my belt. My focus is physics.

Nikitin said:
So it's really just a myth that working in finance will make you filthy rich?

It depends on how you define "finance". People in this forum seem to define "finance" as one of the following:

Front desk trader at Goldman-Sachs
Hedge fund manager
Partner at a big M&A firm

So yes, if you think those are "finance", then it will make you rich. You also won't be working in it.

I define finance as a job within banking, insurance and related companies. By that measure, the area has shed hundreds of thousands of jobs worldwide over the past few years, and most jobs (before and after the crisis) were not particularly high paying.

However, there are still opportunities out there if you're willing to dig. I would find a forum in which people who work in these industries post and then see what they say. What I find from reading and talking to people is that jobs in areas such as quantitative analysis are still out there, but they've changed a lot. Make sure anything you read is up to date.

Also, three programming courses won't mean anything to an employer. However, evidence you code will, and hopefully those courses will give you a chance to demonstrate that.

Well I got decent grades, but I'm not very into coding. Regardless, I have no intention of becoming a full-time programmer in finance or anywhere.

Though thanks for the help! :) I'll check out those forums during summer vacation.

If you’re not going to be programming (or doing some other similar systems work), there are very few good options left to you in finance/banking/insurance. Sales is always an option, open to anyone who has the knack for it. Sales is hard, but it is very lucrative. You could also check actuarial work, which is very open to career changers.

Besides those, I think you’d only be qualified for generic stuff (underwriting, data entry) that IMHO you should avoid like the plague.

I wouldn't say that you *have* to be doing programming - it's just that not knowing how to program just sets you up to compete with every other major (sociology, psychology, economics, business administration...) For investment banking, a lot has to do with coming from a selective college/university and your "fit" rather than proficiency. For the buy-side, we look almost entirely at your ability rather than "fit". I believe having programmed in your college courses is good enough depending on the kind of projects you've done in the process. But in more extreme cases, I recall DE Shaw wanted to know how many lines of code you wrote for each programming language that you're familiar with, and some Chicago prop firm had interview questions on programming in store for the regular position - these firms would probably be more stringent.

My ex-classmates who were majoring in mathematics had two years of internships in front-office positions which do not involve programming and will probably not have a difficulty landing such a job after they graduate.

I appreciate all the help! Thanks, now I got a decent gut-feeling about this stuff.

Related to Is finance a viable career for a simple engineer?

1. Is finance a viable career option for an engineer with no prior experience in the field?

Yes, finance can be a viable career option for an engineer. While it may seem like a different field, many engineering skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are highly transferable to finance. Additionally, many companies value diverse backgrounds and perspectives, making engineers an attractive candidate for finance roles.

2. Do I need to have a finance degree or specific financial knowledge to succeed in a finance career as an engineer?

No, a finance degree or specific financial knowledge is not necessary to succeed in a finance career as an engineer. While having some knowledge in finance can be helpful, many companies offer training and development programs for new employees. Additionally, your engineering background can bring a unique perspective and skill set to the finance industry.

3. Is there room for growth and advancement in a finance career for an engineer?

Yes, there is definitely room for growth and advancement in a finance career for an engineer. Many companies offer opportunities for employees to move up the ladder and take on more challenging roles. With hard work, dedication, and continuous learning, an engineer can advance to leadership positions in the finance industry.

4. What types of finance roles are available for engineers?

There are various finance roles available for engineers, including financial analyst, financial advisor, investment analyst, risk analyst, and financial consultant. These roles require strong analytical skills and attention to detail, making them a good fit for engineers.

5. Can I combine my engineering background with a finance career?

Yes, you can definitely combine your engineering background with a finance career. In fact, having a diverse background can be beneficial in the finance industry, as it brings a unique perspective and skill set to the table. You can also look for finance roles that specifically cater to your engineering field or use your engineering knowledge to excel in finance roles, such as data analysis or risk management.