Is Faster than Light Travel Possible for Objects with Less Mass than a Proton?

In summary: Since photons have no mass, and cannot be accelerated, they cannot have a lower mass. Again, I may be 100% wrong, but this has been bothering me all day, so I felt the need to discuss this with somebody.In summary, an object whose mass is less than that of a photon could theoretically travel faster than light, but this is unlikely due to the fact that photons have no mass at rest and always move at the same speed.
Ninja Tang
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know:

1. Photons have no mass at rest, but gain mass as they accelerate, like all objects (although it is an extremely small amount).

2. Light is composed of Photons traveling in waves.

3. It is theoretically impossible for an object to travel at the speed of light, due to the fact that all objects gain mass as they accelerate towards the speed of light.

Assuming the above is correct, in theory, wouldn't it be possible for an object whose mass is less than that of a proton to travel faster than the speed of light? What I'm proposing, is that the speed of light is not the universal speed limit, but that the photon is simply the smallest (or more specifically the "lightest") particle we have discovered, and that if there were to be an object smaller than a photon, it would have the potential to travel faster than light.

Now I may be 100% wrong, but this has been bothering me all day, so I felt the need to discuss this with somebody.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ninja Tang said:
Assuming the above is correct, in theory, wouldn't it be possible for an object whose mass is less than that of a proton to travel faster than the speed of light?
Assuming you meant photon here not proton.

Yes if something had a rest mass lower than the photon it could go faster than light, but since the rest mass of the photon is 0 it is unlikely. There are particles called Tachyons that have a negative rest mass and so can only go faster than light - but they are a mathematical game, there is no reason to believe they are real.

I think you are getting confused by a particles mass increasing as it nears the speed of light - this only applies to particles with a rest mass, the 'mass' of a photon doesn't increase - it is always zero.

Photons are strictly massless, and can not be accelerated. The speed of light in vacuum happens to coincide with the speed "limit" you refer to in your point 3 only because photons are massless.

Ninja Tang said:
Assuming the above is correct, in theory, wouldn't it be possible for an object whose mass is less than that of a proton to travel faster than the speed of light?

Nothing can travel faster than light in a vacuum (free space). However, in other mediums, where light travels at some fraction of "c", it is possible for other particles to travel faster than light, but not at speed "c". You might be interested in learning about Cerenkov radiation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

Assuming you meant photon here not proton.
Oops, that was a miss type. I did mean photon.

Nothing can travel faster than light in a vacuum (free space). However, in other mediums, where light travels at some fraction of "c", it is possible for other particles to travel faster than light, but not at speed "c". You might be interested in learning about Cerenkov radiation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation
Thank you for the link, it helped me see the subject from a different point of view.

Another question though; Is there any method, either actual or theoretical, of reducing the mass of an object relative to it's surroundings?

Ninja Tang said:
Another question though; Is there any method, either actual or theoretical, of reducing the mass of an object relative to it's surroundings?

Yes, a diet :)

Ninja Tang said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know:

1. Photons have no mass at rest, but gain mass as they accelerate, like all objects (although it is an extremely small amount).
This is wrong in two ways. Photons have no mass- they have momentum, but no mass. Photons do not accelerate, they always move at the same speed.

2. Light is composed of Photons traveling in waves.
Well, light can be thought of as photons or waves. I would not say they were "photons traveling in waves".

3. It is theoretically impossible for an object to travel at the speed of light, due to the fact that all objects gain mass as they accelerate towards the speed of light.
That is one reason.

Assuming the above is correct, in theory, wouldn't it be possible for an object whose mass is less than that of a proton to travel faster than the speed of light? What I'm proposing, is that the speed of light is not the universal speed limit, but that the photon is simply the smallest (or more specifically the "lightest") particle we have discovered, and that if there were to be an object smaller than a photon, it would have the potential to travel faster than light.
That "lightest" particle has mass 0. If you are going to postulate a particle having lower mass, you are going to have to say what you mean by "negative mass"!

Now I may be 100% wrong, but this has been bothering me all day, so I felt the need to discuss this with somebody.

Related to Is Faster than Light Travel Possible for Objects with Less Mass than a Proton?

What is the concept of faster than light travel?

Faster than light (FTL) travel is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the possibility of traveling faster than the speed of light, which is considered to be the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel in the universe.

Why is faster than light travel considered impossible?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. As an object's speed increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate. As the object approaches the speed of light, its mass would become infinite, and it would require an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating, making faster than light travel impossible.

Are there any theories that could make faster than light travel possible?

Some theories in physics, such as wormholes and warp drives, suggest that it may be possible to bend space-time in a way that would allow for faster than light travel. However, these concepts are purely theoretical and have not been proven to be feasible.

What are the potential consequences of faster than light travel?

If faster than light travel were possible, it would have significant implications for our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could also open up the possibility for interstellar travel and exploration, as well as the potential for time travel.

Has faster than light travel been achieved or observed?

No, faster than light travel has not been achieved or observed. While there have been experiments with particles traveling near the speed of light, there is currently no evidence to suggest that anything has traveled faster than the speed of light.