Is Fascism a Form of Paganism? Exploring Ancient Beliefs and Modern Ideologies

• History
  • Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of rediscovering the religions of ancient European ancestors and becoming a Pagan. It delves into the origin of the term "pagan" and how it was used to refer to those who followed religions other than the state religion. The conversation also mentions the lack of a single religion or belief system known as "paganism" and advises against relying on modernized versions of ancient beliefs. The concept of the Sacred Feminine is also discussed as an alternative to traditional European religions, with suggestions for further reading on the topic. Lastly, the conversation mentions Asatru, the former religion of most of Germanic Europe, and provides links for further information.
Prometheus said:
Stolen is a very strong word that is highly loaded.

Religion has been evoving for millennia. The ancient Greek religion of the Olympians evolved out of the religion of the Titans, etc.

Christianity did not appear in a vacuum. It evolved out of earlier religions. To say that it stole from them is like saying that you stole from your teachers, as you incorporate the ideas that they exposed you to.
A lot of Christian holidays did not evolve from earlier religions, they were actually stolen (or borrowed, if that sounds nicer). Early Christian priests, when they found that many followers were reverting to paganism because the pagans had more fun feasts, decided to invent Christian holidays that coincided with pagan ones in an attempt to lure people back.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Evo said:
A lot of Christian holidays did not evolve from earlier religions, they were actually stolen (or borrowed, if that sounds nicer). Early Christian priests, when they found that many followers were reverting to paganism because the pagans had more fun feasts, decided to invent Christian holidays that coincided with pagan ones in an attempt to lure people back.

you are right to suggest a synonym, evo
I was thinking things like "adopted from, copied from, imitated from..."
said "stolen from" partly in jest
(the original grinch who stole christmas was a frustrated bishop who wanted to compete with pagan yule?)

BTW I understand the first "carols" were grassroots or popular fun singing often accompanied by dance and were discouraged by the establishment
caroling was forbidden because it wasnt serious enough---not enough like a wellbehaved mass

one of the strongpoints of established religions is that they have a cultural patina acquired over centuries of people modifying them to make them have broader appeal, and some of the results----like easter celebrations and christmas carols and mardigras(?) are rather nice

not knowledgeable enough, have to stop meandering

Ishtar eggs, Tammuz trees, Yala logs, planned observance of ‘our’ holidays with ‘their’ holidays, etc. There was a method behind it though it didn’t all happen instantly (Christmas not celebrated until the third or forth century, for example). Pope Gregory 1st’s edict (having to do with Halloween) is a pretty clear example of the strategy;

By 600 A.D., Christianity was firmly in place in most of Europe and according to medieval documents (many housed in the Vatican today) Pope Gregory I, in an attempt to eradicate pagan celebrations, such as Samhain, issued what many considered to be a famous edict to his priests and Christian missionaries. They were instructed to use the native’s customs and beliefs and consecrated them to Christ, thereby evangelizing the richness of each culture as a means of spreading Christianity.

Taken from;
http://www.nasjax.navy.mil/JAX%20AIR%20NEWS/31oct02halloween.htm

Or, worded another way;

As a result of their efforts to wipe out "pagan" holidays, such as Samhain, the Christians succeeded in effecting major transformations in it. In 601 A.D. Pope Gregory the First issued a now famous edict to his missionaries concerning the native beliefs and customs of the peoples he hoped to convert. Rather than try to obliterate native peoples' customs and beliefs, the pope instructed his missionaries to use them: if a group of people worshipped a tree, rather than cut it down, he advised them to consecrate it to Christ and allow its continued worship.

In terms of spreading Christianity, this was a brilliant concept and it became a basic approach used in Catholic missionary work. Church holy days were purposely set to coincide with native holy days. Christmas, for instance, was assigned the arbitrary date of December 25th because it corresponded with the mid-winter celebration of many peoples. Likewise, St. John's Day was set on the summer solstice.

taken from;
http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/celtsmyth/a/lochalloween.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
BoulderHead said:
Ishtar eggs, Tammuz trees, Yala logs, ... "pagan" holidays, such as Samhain
taken from;
http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/celtsmyth/a/lochalloween.htm

Boulderhead I'm at the same time interested and skeptical about some of these claims

I have heard people say "Samhain" but I don't know of any reliable source regarding it. Do we know if there was a festival named Samhain in pre-christ europe?
What does "Ishtar eggs" refer to?-----Ishtar was a godess of the Babylonians who spoke a Semitic language and had no cultural links with the Celts AFAIK. there is no etymological link between the godess name "Ishtar" and the Germanic root of "Easter"

I am willing to believe that there was some pre-christ European holiday around Summer Solstice and that in accordance with Pope Gregory (a great pope who promoted the monastic movement and good music) the church co-opted the Solstice by putting SaintJohn's squarely on top of it! this is credible.
But does anyone know what Celtic or Germanic name was used (really) for the Solstice festival by some definite tribe of pre-X people? Do we really know of some definite tribe calling it This-hain or That-hain?

it's potentially interesting and would be great to have a link to some solid scholarship about this, or even better some translated contemporary source-material?

I have heard people say "Samhain" but I don't know of any reliable source regarding it.
I don’t know what you consider a reliable source.
Do we know if there was a festival named Samhain in pre-christ europe?
Hmmm, I don’t understand what you’re after here. Are you doubting any festival existed, or disputing the name as known to those doing the celebrating? For instance, if the Celts called it Y&*$@(> and others, possibly later, referred to is as Samhain, would not the festival have been held? Or, are you thinking in terms of showing this festival may have existed, by whatever name, but wasn’t observed prior to the advent of Xianity, therefore allowing some possibility that Xianity may not have co-opted it?

What does "Ishtar eggs" refer to?-----Ishtar was a godess of the Babylonians who spoke a Semitic language and had no cultural links with the Celts AFAIK. there is no etymological link between the godess name "Ishtar" and the Germanic root of "Easter"
To answer your question about what Ishtar eggs refer to, I was alluding to a broader observance of similarity between ancient pagan practices and those of the modern age. Maybe those comments were out of context for the line you are pursing, dunno. My interest isn’t really with the process, but more with noting similarities of observance, symbols, practices, etc. I believe there is more to the story than simple co-opting by order of some pope, but that will digress too much.

I am willing to believe that there was some pre-christ European holiday around Summer Solstice and that in accordance with Pope Gregory (a great pope who promoted the monastic movement and good music) the church co-opted the Solstice by putting SaintJohn's squarely on top of it! this is credible.
My post was meant to show the philosophy and practice of the Church with respect to other religions and their observances/practices. It would seem the Pope’s Edict makes clear the policy to be followed and you expressed willingness to accept this happening in at least this particular case, which is enough to satisfy my intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Stolen is a very strong word that is highly loaded.

Religion has been evoving for millennia. The ancient Greek religion of the Olympians evolved out of the religion of the Titans, etc.

Christianity did not appear in a vacuum. It evolved out of earlier religions. To say that it stole from them is like saying that you stole from your teachers, as you incorporate the ideas that they exposed you to.

huh? The religion of the Titans? You know that "Titan" is a name that refers to a group of gods in the ancient Greek religions, right? Anyway, as far as the word "stolen" is concerned, if the shoe fits ... Let us say plagiarized then. Apollonius ... Mithra ... do any of these ring bells?
*Nico

Nicomachus said:
huh?

Hello Nico.

The religion of the Titans? You know that "Titan" is a name that refers to a group of gods in the ancient Greek religions, right?

Excellent. You are correct. It is a safe bet that if I cite the Titans I do in fact know who and what they were.

Anyway, as far as the word "stolen" is concerned, if the shoe fits ... Let us say plagiarized then. Apollonius ... Mithra ... do any of these ring bells?
*Nico

You certainly have a right to your opinion, and it is clear that others share it. To me, however, there is more to the story. The point that I am trying to make is that religions evolve over time, and that they do not do so in a vacuum. While "stealing" is certinaly a possibiity, I tend to think that as similar cultures evolve through similar stages, such as the ancient Greeks from the stage of the Titans to the stage of the Olympians to the stage of monotheism, their similarities in cultural and environmental development and experience cause them to tend to develop similar religious concepts, such that they would tend to develop similar holidays with somewhat similar symbolism around similar astronomical events, such as the winter solstice.

If you are truly looking into paganism I suggest you read some texts from the last major pagansit movement that history has seen. The movement was called fascism. A man by the name of Adolph Hitler believed that if he could strip germany of judeo-christian traditions and reintroduce the ancient pagan customs, rituals and beliefs that he could bring germany back to its roots and create a true arian state free of any jewish influence (ie judaism and christianity). Hitler knew that he was more than capable of completely eradicating the german jews, but the chrisitans were a different story. He could not contend with the masses, so he decied to pervert the christian religion in germany and force it to conform to his new order. Anyway, fascism began as a thriving ideology about a decade before the rise of nazi germany. They believed in the worship of nature (pagan), extreme environmentalism, the equality of every man...most of the closely held convictions of modern liberalism. Now, of course, that whole equality thing changed once hitler took power. But that is only because the whole "supoerior german state" aspect had a higher priority. If you would like more details please feel free to reply back!