Is factoring out of limits allowed?

In summary, you can manipulate limits as long as you use appropriate limit theorems and ensure that the final limits exist.
hatelove
If I do this:

[TEX]\lim_{\alpha\rightarrow 0} \frac{sin\alpha}{\frac{2\alpha}{5}} = \lim_{\alpha\rightarrow 0} \frac{5sin\alpha}{2\alpha} = \lim_{\alpha\rightarrow 0} \frac{5}{2}\cdot \frac{sin\alpha}{\alpha}[/TEX]

Am I allowed to do this?

[TEX]\frac{5}{2} \cdot \lim_{\alpha\rightarrow 0} \frac{sin\alpha}{\alpha} = \frac{5}{2} \cdot 1 = \frac{5}{2}[/TEX]

Or did I do something in the very first steps incorrectly?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Also I didn't want to create another thread since this is kind of relevant:

If I have:

[tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin ^{2}\alpha }{\alpha^{2}} = \lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} (\frac{\sin\alpha }{\alpha})^{2}[/tex]

Can I do this?

[tex]\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} (\frac{\sin\alpha }{\alpha} \cdot \frac{\sin\alpha }{\alpha}) = (\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin\alpha }{\alpha}) \cdot (\lim_{\alpha \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin\alpha }{\alpha}) = 1 \cdot 1 = 1[/tex]

You can do all of those things... provided that your final limits exist. They do in this case, so I would say you're on safe ground. There are limit theorems that allow you to distribute the taking of a limit with addition, subtraction, multiplication, division (no divide by zero, of course).

Related to Is factoring out of limits allowed?

1. What is factoring in terms of limits?

Factoring in terms of limits is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex expressions involving limits. It involves finding common factors in the numerator and denominator of a limit expression and cancelling them out to make the expression easier to evaluate.

2. Why is factoring important in limit calculations?

Factoring is important in limit calculations because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to evaluate. This can help us find the exact value of a limit or determine if a limit exists.

3. How do I know when to use factoring in limit calculations?

You should use factoring in limit calculations when you encounter an expression with common factors in the numerator and denominator. This often occurs when evaluating limits involving rational functions.

4. Can factoring change the value of a limit?

No, factoring does not change the value of a limit. It only simplifies the expression, making it easier to evaluate. As long as the original expression and the factored expression are equivalent, the limit will remain the same.

5. Are there any limitations to factoring in limit calculations?

Yes, there are limitations to factoring in limit calculations. Factoring can only be used to simplify expressions with common factors. It cannot be used to evaluate limits involving radicals or trigonometric functions. In these cases, other techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule may be needed.